Feelin' nostalgic about this purchase...

JHouse

Early hip hop memories part 2:

I grew up in the South East of England, about 30 mins on the train into London, and breakdancing (as it was known in the not-so-mean suburbs of Cheshunt) was just becoming popular there in about 1984. In fact, I would have been completely oblivious of its existence at that time (I was only 7) had I not had an older brother who was 11 and who had some mates at school that were into it.

But I had no real concept of it being anything other than a short-lived fad. I don't even remember thinking that it was a dance as it was just some acrobatics as far as we were concerned. The only music I remember being played that was in any way associated with it was Break Machine, which my brother had on 7 inch.

I also have a (very, very) dim memory of visiting London around that time and seeing bodypoppers in Covent Garden. But there was never any connection made between that and what happened when rap started becoming popular amongst suburban kids in the early 90s. They were two very separate and unrelated things as far as I knew.

• Like 1

Oh man, I remember buying a copy of Break Machine's 'Street Dance' on 12 inch when it was originally released.

I might have to give that one a listen to on youtube as I don't have the actual record anymore,alas

Just found this:

How to Breakdance circa 1984 - that's how we used to roll in the 'burbs.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about before with hip hop being super-popular in the early to mid 80s. There was a whole thing about having breaking be an Olympic sport in 1984.

And then there was this embarrassing (or not) chapter in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuLDqT47rkA

Apparently 48% of people who buy vinyl records don't play their vinyl records.

7% of the people surveyed don't own a turntable while 47% said they owned a turntable but never actually used it.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/48-people-who-buy-vinyl-dont-listen-to-records

7% of the people surveyed don't own a turntable while 47% said they owned a turntable but never actually used it.

48% of people who read shit online surveys actually believe every word they read ;)

• Like 1

48% of people who read shit online surveys actually believe every word they read ;)

Hehe-

I never said I actually believed it .

Please note if I use the word 'apparently' in my posts in future.

Thank you in advance for your co-operation and for not editing my comments using your powers as a moderator for Digital Vertigo.. :d

• Like 1

Does anyone ever buy records for themselves but never play them ?

I can think of instances of doing so but that was purely for re-sale purposes, for example, the time when i got hold of 2 copies of the Cream on Top lp by Cream for peanuts and which were only ever released originally through mail order (as far as I know) and sold them on to a dealer I knew at a tidy profit.

I'm sure it does happen, but in much smaller percentages.

On top of my 20+ weekly "vinyl's making a come back" comments I have to endure at work, a good percentage follow it up by explaining how "people don't actually play them though" - percentages inlvoved vary from about 50-100%

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone ever buy records for themselves but never play them ?

I can think of instances of doing so but that was purely for re-sale purposes, for example, the time when i got hold of 2 copies of the Cream on Top lp by Cream for peanuts and which were only ever released originally through mail order (as far as I know) and sold them on to a dealer I knew at a tidy profit.

I've been guilty of this on rare occasions. I got a sealed copy of the Siah & Yeshua EP and couldn't bring myself to open it. I have a few more like that. I admit it's weird.

Thanks for posting that video, Steve. That's probably one of the gnarliest music related interviews I've ever witnessed, with some pretty heavy ego crushing questions, but Fab handled it like a champ. Respect to those guys.

• Like 3