Numark pt01 usb buzzing noise?

Had my pt01 for a couple of months now and I started to notice a loud humming noise or buzzing noise coming out the rca outputs and headphone jacks. When I connect it to my ipad via the usb camera connection kit, the sound is clean no humming at all. TO me it sounds like a grounding issue. If I open the tt up anything I should look for? Anybody else have this problem?

Guest rasteri

The usual stuff really - make sure all the connectors are plugged in properly on all PCBs, chcek the solder joints under the RCA/jack connectors, poke at some random components and cables and see if they make the sound come and go, see if powering it from batteries makes it go away.

Good lookin out Rasteri. I opened the tt and everything seemed fine on the inside, nothing felt loose.I switched to batteries and got the same noise. I did notice that the sound comes on when the platter starts and gets louder as I put pressure on the platter. Not sure if it's the tonearm cables or something with the platter. Im going to mess around with it some more see if I can fix it.

Fixed the buzzing noise. It was a grounding issue.So I plugged the usb plug back in and removed this black ground wire thats screwed in http://imgur.com/WDsCJrO

And stuck it between the metal faceplate like this

http://imgur.com/KeJARPm

http://m.imgur.com/VRAutve

Fixed the buzzing noise that's been driving me crazy. Had help from flesh_one on ig.

• Like 5

Fixed the buzzing noise. It was a grounding issue.So I plugged the usb plug back in and removed this black ground wire thats screwed in http://imgur.com/WDsCJrO

And stuck it between the metal faceplate like this

http://imgur.com/KeJARPm

http://m.imgur.com/VRAutve

Fixed the buzzing noise that's been driving me crazy. Had help from flesh_one on ig.

I've got the same problem. I only got as far as testing with headphones/aux and PSU/batteries but I'll give your fix a go.

Thanks for that!

Guest rasteri

That USB board is nothing but trouble, the idea of using it as a vinyl archiver is a fucking joke.

Nice work man. If you remove the USB board's power cable too then you probably won't need to wedge that ground wire into the faceplate.

*UPDATE*

Been scratching on my pt01 for a couple days now with no buzzing noise and I turned it on right now n that infamous sound came back hahaha!!!DAMN!!!

If you remove the USB board's power cable too then you probably won't need to wedge that ground wire into the faceplate.

Like rasteri said this is probally your best bet at eliminating that noise. Just leave this plug unplugged circled in red. Don't have to worry about unscrewing that black wire.

http://imgur.com/17ycjiJ

I get the buzzing on mine too. It gets worse when you start the platter and even worse on battery power.

It will get rid off the buzzing from the platter too.

I like using the usb for dvs with my ipad so ill try n find another way to get rid of the noise and still be able to use the usb functions.

Guest rasteri

TBH I'd probably want to completely remove all of the wires leading to the USB board - the 2-wire power cable, the 3-wire audio cable, and the black ground cable. Just unplugging them probably won't be enough as they'll be acting as antennas, receiving induced current from the motor coils.

TBH I'd probably want to completely remove all of the wires leading to the USB board - the 2-wire power cable, the 3-wire audio cable, and the black ground cable. Just unplugging them probably won't be enough as they'll be acting as antennas, receiving induced current from the motor coils.

Will this not disable the line input?

Guest rasteri

Will this not disable the line input?

You mean for the nanofader board? If so no.

• 2 weeks later...

so are you saying completely remove the usb board or just the wires?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi has anyone found a fix for this yet without unplugging the power for the usb ? I just bought the pt01 scratch with jesse dean fader installed but it has the same issues.

As soon as i unplug the power for usb/line in its fine but now i cant plug in my beats and cut at the same time.

Mine is more of a crackling sound than a hum and starts about quarter volume.When unplugged it is a crisp sound and cut even at max volume.

Any answers fully appreciated

• 2 years later...

Hello to all of you!

I read all your comments related to the buzzing noise of the portable turntable Numark PT 01 USB.

It seems that you give some suggestions and ideas but none of you apparently found a real solution, a real fix, and the real cause of the problem,

1 or did you?

In a nutshell,

2 is there any real valid solution to get rid of the noise once and for all that is heard when the platter spins?

(especially when using headphones)

3 Is "your" noise caused by the spinning platter or not?

In my case it is, there s no noise is the platter doesn t spin.

4 So are we talking about the same noise? the noise that is heard when the platter spins?

It seems that one of you got rid of the buzzing noise temporarily, but then it came back,

and then suggested to remove a kind of a white square piece apparently related to the USB feature.

5 Does that completely fix the problem?

6 If not what does?

7 Did any of you find the real cause of the noise?

8 Did any of you completely removed the noise once and for all?

There are many videos on youtube related to this turntable but as far as i know no one mentions this buzzing problem.

This is the only forum and info related i found on the net.

9 Are there any more?

I also asked everyone (Numark pt 01 related videos) on youtube regarding this noise, and apparently nobody has ever had any buzzing noise,

because they either completely ignore my question and comments, or are asking me questions like " What kind of noise? " etc which makes me think they have no idea what i m talking about because they actually never had this noise.

Some youtubers play records using this Numark PT 02 USB, and there is no noise whatsoever, none at all.

10 So what's wrong with our models?

11 Are they defective?

I bought THREE Numark PT 01 USB from three different sellers, THREE, and ALL OF THEM have the same annoying noise that makes it especially annoying when playing some kind of classical music etc.

12 I´d like to mention another problem if i may, related to this Numark PT 01 USB model:

The speed:

It's uneven, and this speed problem is, as a matter of fact, something many owners complain about.

13 Do you have the same speed problem too?

14 If so how did you fix it? ( i'm not talking about changing belts, but using a new one and still have the same problem)

Some technician fixed the speed problem in both of them, and when using a stroboscope, both 33 and 45 were ok. I didn t ask him to adjust 78 tho

The problem is, the speed was uneven two days after, without using them during those two days, in both turntables.

15 How on earth is it possible that this turntable has uneven speed and buzzing noises and yet being satisfactory used by so many people who even invest almost 500 bucks in modifications, like pro arm forces, to be able to use pro stylus and cartridges)?

16 I mean who would even bother investing any money with a turntable that has a buzzing noise and an uneven speed in the first place?

Expensive tonearms would not fix that as far as I know.

17 Who would do that investment having this annoying buzzing noise and uneven speed in the first place, and not even mentioning it anywhere ?

18 this buzzing sound appears to be only in the USB model and not in the scratching model?

"The third model" , the one who has a built in battery has a buzzing noise too according to some youtuber who actually is very happy with the one we are talking about here, because his has no buzzing noise,

but complains about the one he bought brand new with the built in battery because it does have a noise.

These turntables are extremely affordable,

19 maybe that's why they have so many issues?

20 or it s just that we had bad luck and have defective ones?

21 If all of them had the same issues, why on earth people would talk so highly of them and invest money to replace force arms etc?

22 May i mention another turntable, the OMNI, who already has a pro arm force, and is more expensive.

23 Do any of you have one?

And if so,

24 could you tell me if it also has the aforementioned problems?

Which are:

A) Uneven speed

B) Noise when the platter spins

C) "Ground noise" regardless if the platter spins or not

25 May I mention the Vestax Handytrax? I have two.

One of them, the first model, has a noise as well, but not related to the spinning platter.

The noise in this one seems to be "a ground noise" which increases when touching the surface of the turntable.

It also has an uneven speed.

And the other one, a white one who is a slight different new version, has no noise whatsoever, but an uneven speed too.

26 Who would be ok purchasing and using a turntable that doesn t even offer the very minimum requirements?

Minimum requirements meaning playing a record with the right speed, even speed, without the extra annoying noises, and without damaging the grooves.

I would be more than glad to pay more money for a light portable turntable with exchangeable light batteries, that would not damage the grooves and needle with excessive weight, and would spin at the right speed, even speed, and without annoying noises of any kind.

Both the Vestax and the Numark are too heavy when using batteries because they require a lot of batteries that are not rechargeable, too heavy, and not environmentally friendly, unless there is another option,

27 is there?

28 Am i asking for too much? am i being irrational?

The OMNI seems to have all basic requirements according to the informative emails I received from them (HeadacheSound brand) but after all the stress and wasted money and time invested in the aforementioned ones, I have my doubts the OMNI will fit the, again, basic requirements, so I have my doubts.

I hope some of you will kindly provide the theoretically simple and practical solution, a real one, in order to get rid of the buzzing noise once and for all.

Thank you very much.

Feel free to contact me here too: veganroommates9@gmail.com