Pac inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

djdiggla

Certainly to the delight of everyone on DV!

One on only a few rappers/rap groups to be inducted. He now shares that honor with Run DMC, PE, Beastie Boys, GM Flash and the Furious Five, NWA...

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/tupac-shakur

COMPLEX. PERSONAL. FEARLESS. TUPAC IS AUTHENTIC AND LARGER THAN LIFE.

The definitive hip-hop anti-hero, Tupac wrote lyrics that spark conversations about rap, race relations, and young black men in America today.
BIOGRAPHYTO THE TOP
Beyond his popularity, Tupac Shakur is one of the most complex figures to emerge from hip-hop – really, to emerge from any art form.
His naked emotion and fearless personal revelation were a direct influence on MCs from Eminem to Kendrick Lamar. “Every rapper who grew up in the ’90s owes something to Tupac,” wrote 50 Cent in Rolling Stone, paying tribute to Shakur as one of the “100 Greatest Artists Of All Time.”
Tupac was born into struggle—his mother, Afeni, was a leader in the Black Panther movement—but grew up to become not just a multi-platinum rapper, but a movie star. He managed to become both the “realest” artist, in a genre obsessed with authenticity, and larger than life. His songs preached activism and nihilism, expressed rage and love, raised questions without answers. He was a lightning rod, a screen onto which millions of people continue to project their feelings about rap, about race, and about the young black man in America today.
Tupac’s first solo album, 2Pacalypse Now, instantly generated both acclaim and controversy. Though the single “Brenda’s Got A Baby” demonstrated his empathy and conscience, the album’s unsparing examinations of street violence and police harassment led to a public condemnation by Vice President Dan Quayle.
This tension would continue to play out over the next five years, as Tupac’s life grew increasingly tumultuous and his popularity escalated. “Keep Ya Head Up” and “Dear Mama” were heart-tugging, feminist anthems; elsewhere, he could be brutally misogynist and violent – a side of his work which escalated when he became part of Suge Knight's Death Row empire.
But even as his rap sheet grew, his records kept getting better, culminating in 1996’s All Eyez On Me, which spawned five singles, including two Number One hits, “California Love” and “How Do U Want It.” Meanwhile, his performances in Juice, Poetic Justice, Above The Rim, and other movies revealed a powerful screen presence.
In a recording career tragically cut short after just five years, Tupac Shakur sold over 75 million records worldwide, with All Eyez On Me and his Greatest Hits collection both surpassing the ten million sales mark. Since his murder in 1996 at the age of 25, Tupac’s legend and impact have continued to expand across the globe. He has become an international symbol of resistance and outlaw spirit, an irresistible contradiction, a definitive rap anti-hero.
Selected discography: “I Get Around,” “Keep Ya Head Up” (1993) ● “Dear Mama” (1995) ● “California Love” (1996) ● “Changes” (1998)

I wonder if he hadn't lost his life in such tragic circumstances would the RRHOF be inducting Tupac at all ?

I've never liked Pac's music personally and never rated him as anyone particularly special which probably wont come as a surprise to anybody but I can also totally appreciate why others certainly would.

But there seems to me at least, to be an awful lot of separation between the man as an icon and some kind of fallen,glorified Hip-Hop 'martyr' and the actual music he released in his (obviously) relatively short recording career, which to my ears was always only ever average sounding at best.

• Like 1

Maybe, but I'd ask that question about Biggie before I'd ask it about Pac. 2Pac had already made it. Had released numerous platinum albums under two different monikers. Then got shot. His death didn't propell shit that wasn't already happening. Life After Death dropped like a week before Biggie's death. If anyone's career was buoyed by their untimely death it was Biggie. Frankly I don't understand how people can't be into Pac. His shit was next level. That said, I think Big's sound stands the test of time better. But Pac put out more bad ass shit and was the king at the time. I'm a little surprised they didn't induct both of them this year.

Dilla is another one. I didn't know who he was till he was dying. Turns out I knew all his music but didn't know him. He definitely would not have been famous at least like he is if he hadn't died.

• Like 1

I think Big's sound stands the test of time better. But Pac put out more bad ass shit and was the king at the time. I'm a little surprised they didn't induct both of them this year.

Apparently Biggie isn't eligible for induction yet but will be in another 3 years time.

(In Donald Trump voice) Tupac and Biggie? Overrated!

Nasty. Nasty people. Let me tell you who's great- this Kane West fellow. He is going to make rap great again. Yes he is.

• Like 2

I don't get all the fuss about 2Pac. I never have and I never will.

I think you speak for the entire forum, except Dirk!

You're obviously unaware that Dirk acts as a conduit and is Pac's earthly representative. Pac communicates his thoughts from the afterlife on all sorts of Hip-Hop related topics directly through Dirk and only with Dirk.. :((

• Like 2

Genius is rarely understood 🤔😎

Man, just remembered I used to have a Pac blanket. Think wifey threw it out 😞 RIP Pac Blanket. #snuglife

• Like 5

I just learned the other day MC Hammer was kickin' it with those dudes the night Biggie got murked. He was suppose to cruise with them down the strip, but he opted out for good reason. Really surprised he was hanging with those guys in the first place...was probably working on this thug life persona.

I just learned the other day MC Hammer was kickin' it with those dudes the night Biggie got murked. He was suppose to cruise with them down the strip, but he opted out for good reason. Really surprised he was hanging with those guys in the first place...was probably working on this thug life persona.

Oddly enough Hammer was pretty hood and had a lot of street cred. Basically grew up on the street and raised himself. Got by doing odds and ends jobs for Davis and the Raiders. Managed to polish it up for his music persona but everyone knew you don't fuck with Hammer. Like seriously.

• Like 2

Oddly enough Hammer was pretty hood and had a lot of street cred. Basically grew up on the street and raised himself. Got by doing odds and ends jobs for Davis and the Raiders. Managed to polish it up for his music persona but everyone knew you don't fuck with Hammer. Like seriously.

This is very true.

I've got a friend who's known MC Hammer personally for 25 years and he was the main lighting engineer on Hammer's world tours in the early 1990's and they've remained friends ever since.

Hammer is one dude you definitely don't want to mess with from the stories I've been told about him.

• Like 2

Guest broke

I don't get all the fuss about 2Pac. I never have and I never will.

I agree 100%

Over the last decade I've been revisiting a lot of stuff I had previously dismissed as pop rap or rubbish. I've found some real gems (OutKast) and a few artists who aren't totally without merit (Jay-Z), but I still can't get into 2pac. And it's not like he can't rap, but 99% of the beats on his records are just straight up garbage. I thought that back in the 90s and I still do.

• Like 1