Custom removable target lights. (as seen on Vestax, Stanton & Numark).

I need to source some target lights for PDX turntables and although you can easily find the original vestax plastic ones, I want to go for metal so once its done, it should never need doing again.
I do have one aftermarket metal one (not stanton or numark) but bought this ages ago and cannot find them now, unfortunatley.
Firstly, are these interchangeable? So you could use a vestax on a stanton or numark and vice versa? (specifically the long numark metal ones as the stanton ones look plastic).

Alternatively I was thinking of putting one together myself.
I was planning on using a longish phono neutrik conection (as a base) and soldering the bright LED directly to the corresponding terminals. Then replacing the neutric sleeve and cable tie mechanism with a machined sleeve and cap (which would cover the led) and I could poke the led through the hole in my machined sleeve (via the top) and then put the cap on the top to cover the hole, done.

When I was shopping for LEDs it mentions in most cases it should have a resistor as the LEDs are low powered. I remember from an old vestax unit I had (the black plastic one w' orange led) the housing had split and i remember it had an LED in there and looked pretty basic, but I cannot for the life of me remember if there was a resistor aswell or if it was just the led and the male phono connection? Does anyone know?
The red metal one I have I cant see how it goes together and I fear trying to open it up, I may break it finding out my answers (there is no join).
So this has sort of put a spanner in the works.

Any ideas?

Guest rasteri

According to the service manual, the PDX2000 spits out 12v on the target lamp socket so yeah you'll need a resistor (I think the early models used a traditional lamp).

The TTX's target lamp doesn't have a resistor (it's built-in to the TTX) so they aren't directly interchangeable.

I THINK the superoem tables work like the TTX but I'm not 100% sure.

• Like 2

I've got a couple of different ones that came with secondhand tables - Vestax and Stanton, they're interchangeable, plastic and a bit shit and annoying IMO.

Because we all use turntables the 'wrong' way, they're sort of shining in your eyes. Technics ones are faired in so they don't seem to dazzle you but the others just gave a little baked bulb sticking out the side and I find they just shine in my eyes more than light up grooves on the record.

• Like 1

Rasteri, this was the numark one I had my eyes on, but its discontinued anyways. Thanks for the 12v info, I dont have the manual...

https://www.decks.co.uk/products/dj-spares/numark/nmk-lamp#.WRIKahEo8nU

Kutabare, that is very similar to what I wanted to put together. What spec LED did you go for?
When I was looking for the LEDs I was a bit undecisive when it came to the angle of light it gives off, I was thinking about 50 degrees, the aftermarket vestax one I have is real narrow (maybe 25-30) and I have to twist the light as it gets towards the runout to illuminate it all.

Rockwell, although super bright, the one I have doesn't actually catch the light in the grooves as well as the SL's bulb, imho.

Kutabare, that is very similar to what I wanted to put together. What spec LED did you go for?

Sorry, I have no idea all the parts were found in the spare parts trays at work. I'll see if I can find out tomorrow.

The LEDs are mounted facing upwards and there is a hole drilled in the side of the RCA plug that's marginally higher than the platter for the light to shine out.

It's not great but you can make out the tracks/grooves on records with it.

Nice! On the hallowed Blue PDX too ;)

Cheers. I've got a blue MPC2000XL to got with them.

• Like 1