Texas Blues

djdiggla

Man, the original tunes from Stairway thread got me going through some old texas blues and I thought I'd share a few of my favorite artists. It's still a fairly popular genre here in Texas, particularly in Austin. I assume most of yall aren't too familar so to kinda break it down: it generally has kinda a more twang and swing to it and solos are more prevalent... usually guitar but sometimes harmonica or other instrument.

I don't want to overload yall with people so below are just three musicians. If you dig them check out the Wiki Texas Blues thread linked above for more.

Texas Blues basically starts with Blind Lemon Jefferson (b. 1893). Blind started playing sketchy areas in East Texas before making frequent trips to Dallas for gigs where he also played some with Lead Belly (more on him next). Blind had some very popular songs and recorded a bit up in Chicago (also where he died). Many of those songs were essentially lost to time entirely but quite a few were re-discovered after his death. He recorded about 100 songs and maybe half are available today. Dylan, the Dead, BB King, etc have all covered his tunes.

He's also the face of the Texas Music license plate:

Next is Lead Belly (b. 1888) the self styled "King of the twelve-string guitar." Lead Belly was straight up a tough guy. A total badass. In and out of jail, escaped and served time on a chain gang. Stabbed in the neck. Shot in the stomach... Give his wiki a read if you get a chance. He's actually from the bordering state of Louisiana but was very influential to Texas Blues. He didn't do too hot with northern black audiences but found a home among leftist folk music fans and had some communist ties. Interesting guy. Just about everyone has covered him: Elvis, Creedence, Tom Petty, Dylan, Dead, Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Meat Puppets, Rod Stewart, ABBA, Nat Cole, Beach Boys, Tom Waits... you name it. Cobain considered him very influential on Nirvana's sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOACcFkmwt8

Last person I wanna mention is who actually inspired me to write this thread: Lightnin' Hopkins (b. 1912). Hopkins was inspired by Blind Lemon Jefferson who he met as a child at a picnic and later was fortunate enough to accompany his living legend idol. Hopkins also did some time. He was a long time resident of Houston and to me his style is what came to embody Texas Blues. He was very prolific and lived relatively long compared to his peers (D. 1982). Randomly, he recorded some wit psych band the 13th Floor Elevators.

Anyways, hope that's of some interest. At least Dan will probably find it interesting ;)

• Like 4

Great song. Stevie really made that his own. Both versions are phenomenal tho.

EDIT: SRV dressed so sharp.... fucking looked like a lunatic pimp. Behind the back at 4:20 :blink:

• Like 1

^^Busting out the tunes, Dan!

Ram Jam Roddigan? Guess I wouldn't expect him to know but also would at the same time...

EDIT: DUH... the band. lol. Yeah that is pretty funny.

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Can't leave Lightin' Hopkins cousin out this dope thread, "The Master of the Telecaster" - Albert Collins

• Like 2

Dirk, do you ever visit Blind Lemon Jefferson's grave to see that it's kept clean? I gather it's something of a tradition.

I've never been mad keen on Lightning Hopkins myself, I respect him but there are other old blues men I prefer. Although, I was watching a doc about Townes Van Zandt the other day and of course he was a huge fan of Lightning, and it's pretty obvious how he influenced his and many other guitarists finger picking style. Or possibly TVZ was hanging on to the fact that Lightning used to drink a quart of gin day a day?

• Like 1

Freddie King was

an absolutely brilliant guitarist

and a big influence for a lot of the UK

blues guitarists including Peter Green

& E**c Cl****n ,theres a hilrarious

story about EC trying to impress Sonny Boy Williamson with his knowledge of the blues and he told Sonny Boy that he even knew his real name..but upon hearing this Williamson got really mad and

immediately drew a knife and threatened to kill him ...hahaha I fucking wish he had done

Man, yall got a solid handle on this stuff! Impressive! I figured it would be pretty obscure or not of interest. Some great artists and songs getting posted tho!

Great thread, Footjoy. I'm a fan of Lightnin' Hopkins. That Blind Lemon Jefferson plate is dope - are they common on Texas roads?

I've seen a few of them but it's not too common of a specialty plate. There's a lot of options tho. I've always wanted either that TX Music one or the Texas Trees one. I've even filled out the form a few times but pussed out when it got to the billing. I'm looking at it again now... seem to remember it was $80 a year extra but looks like it's just $30 ($70 if you personalize too which is maybe why I thought more). Man... can I do a kickstarter to fund my specialty plate? Maybe sell glow-laces and old limited edition wank socks.

Dirk, do you ever visit Blind Lemon Jefferson's grave to see that it's kept clean? I gather it's something of a tradition.

I've never been mad keen on Lightning Hopkins myself, I respect him but there are other old blues men I prefer. Although, I was watching a doc about Townes Van Zandt the other day and of course he was a huge fan of Lightning, and it's pretty obvious how he influenced his and many other guitarists finger picking style. Or possibly TVZ was hanging on to the fact that Lightning used to drink a quart of gin day a day?

I've never been. Had to look up where that town even is. Looks like it would be a perfect place to stop driving Houston to Dallas but kinda out of the way from Austin. Good idea tho--would be fun to take a detour next trip. Looks like there are two geocaches on site too--one at the cemetery and one tribute cache. Now I have to go!

• Like 1

Dirk - if it involves geocaching, you'd be a fool not to! I do think it's cool that he wrote that song all those years ago and Texans and visiting blues fans still honour it to this day.

Dan - I assume you're talking about the Sonny Boy Williamson II with Crapton? A.K.A. "Rice" Miller? He had a hell of a mean streak which many felt the wrath of. Funnily enough, although he was well documented as being the second SBW, who was younger and took the name either out of tribute or to steal work, in later life he started trying to pretend he was much older than he was and claiming that he was the original. I believe there were a few tense moments over that debate too.

Conversely, when my dad met Professor Longhair in London in the 60s, he was deeply impressed that he knew his real name was Henry Roeland Byrd and was generally a nice person to meet, apparently.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

from Memphis TN but its Albert King ffs ..his stuffs been sampled by so many Hip Hop producers and this one was lifted by Big Daddy Kane (Young Gifted & Black) and EPMD (Funky Piano )

SRV makes Eric Clapton look like he's got webbed fingers ..

• Like 1

Yeah- that live version of Cold Shot gives me the chills every time i hear it (no pun intended lol) but what i find most amazing is the fact that SRV hardly even looks at his guitar neck throughout the entire track..now, thats class for you