Drum breaks on shit records

DJ Rock Well

Inspired by broke's choice Anne Murray selection in the new records you've bought thread, I thought I'd start a thread specifically for drum breaks which can be found on unlikely records.

I always need new drum breaks for beats and I work in a shop full of crap records, so I must be missing stuff every day.

Here's a couple of examples of the calibre of records I'm dealing with;

Kenny Rogers - Tulsa Turnaround

Also one the records in my last post in the 'recent purchases' thread...

@Rock Well - I'm not sure how I feel about the ease with which people can use the 'net to find out about what used to be like 'burried treasure'. With sites like WhoSampled or even Wikipedia you can find out about almost anything that's been sampled. I mean, I'm of the mentality that if I came across something I thought had never been used, I wouldn't share that knowledge, even with DV. That's just how it works IMO.

That said, we could all drop knowledge on shitty records that have known samples that some people might not be aware of...

I don't pay any mind to where drums come from in terms of legitimacy of digging and what not, I'm far more bothered about the rest of it.

There's tonnes of shit records with drumbreaks, it's just a case of being arsed to find them. I'm lazy with drums altogether though, rarely get them sounding nice. Mind you my engineering game is shit all round...

@Symatic, yep I've stumbled across one of those too, dope sample and I found it just after I heard this track

@R Funksmith, nice!.. I'll be hitting the Kenny section tomorrow morning :)

@broke, I hear where you're coming from - I've been running secondhand record shop for nearly 9 years now and 95% of what I've got I've found myself the old fashioned way and nothing beats the feeling on discovering something on your own (although most of it is probably well known by serious diggers). Im not asking everyone to give up their best kept secrets, just the better known stuff I'm missing on mundane records.

Looking at my collection, some of the best breaks I have on unlikely records were recommendations from more knowledgeable diggers... i.e. my mate who owns Eldica in Dalston showed me the Dolly Parton one and the one time DJ Format was in my shop he pointed me towards the Ray Stevens one.

On a similar tip, I have Mr Thing to thank for this one;

• 3 weeks later...

Damn it, still getting grief for that title... instead of shit, what I should have said is "not particularly valuable records of genres not immediately associated with hip hop, which may be easily found in a downmarket record shop which isn't exactly brimming with obvious treasures" - but shit was quicker to type ;)

• 4 years later...