First record that was bought for you? / First record you bought?

Steve

Melle Mel was on crack when he made that record too.

LOL! White lines! Don't do em! ...when u could just smoke rock!

Grandmaster Flash had nothing to do with making that record

Really!? I didn't know that. (not being sarcastic either)

If we're talking vinyl:

The first record bought for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx7YPxqj_0I <- my mom's bought me this for my 15th birthday (i picked it out though, though she later bought me Pete Rock and INI Centre of Attention based on a record shop staff's recommendation, so she gets kudos)

The first record I bought for myself:

The first tape bought for me:

The first album I bought with my own money:

• 4 years later...

My parents and my older brothers had a ton of records so they were never really bought for us and i was too busy playing with my Action Man at the time to care anyway ..but the first 45 rpm i bought for myself was Uptown Top Ranking by Althea & Donna in 1978 followed by Too Much To Young by The Specials and My Girl by Madness and the first singles by bands like The Beat & The Selecter as i loved all of those

2-Tone records that were coming out at the time..my Mum used to give me and my bro £1 each saturday for pocket money and we would go running off to the local record store in the afternoon to spend our cash

You could buy a new single for about 50 pence in those days so we usually came back with at least 4 new tunes every week and there was also a second hand section where they sold

ex-jukebox 45's for 10 & 20 pence so we ended up with loads of them beetween us..

And thats when i started to become obsessed with vinyl funnily enough because we were buying so many of the ex-juke singles that covered loads of different genres of music

I can remember saving up my weekly money for about a month one time to buy an American import picture disc 12 inch of an extended mix of Heart Of Glass by Blondie because i was madly in love with Debbie Harry when i was young but me and our kid got into an argument one day and he smashed it in half with a drumstick (a wooden one not one made from chicken )

The first ever LPs i owned i bought with money id gotten for my birthday in 1980 and i remember getting 3 albums which were Jimi Hendrix 'Experience' volume 1 & 2 which were greatest hits type of things and Seventeen Seconds by The Cure for some reason even though id never heard of them before but i liked the cover of the lp which was all blurry and mysterious looking lol

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 1993 been collecting records for 6 years. ;D the first record I bought was some polish rap thing. I will not bother to tell you what it was ;D of corse what got me into collecting was a hunble collection of my grandpa and his "unitra" turntable. Grandpa listend to everything what was popular back in the 60s and 70s most of the records where either imported from the west or made in Russia. I still got a russian edition of "the beattles".

• Like 1

I'm impressed you guys all remember these things so vividly, reading the thread trying to think of mine and I honestly don't have a clue..it would've been around '92 and I remember my older brother showing me his cypress hill, ice cube, house of pain, pharcyde records and then i just went a bit crazy from there collecting...my first tapes around that time were things like prince MJ and arrested development, onyx, da lench mob!

First things that made me wanna dj/scratch is easy, we went on a school trip and one of the older kids (he must've been about 16 and oddly enough was the most by the book kid, went onto be a lawyer) told me to listen to his hard to earn tape and after hearing premier'cuts that was it. first dmc was the '96 worlds vhs I got at Xmas and noise, raida and co got me hooked...

Whilst I generally can't remember "firsts", im sure I could tell you when and where I bought/got everything...same for everyone else?

• Like 1

Whilst I generally can't remember "firsts", im sure I could tell you when and where I bought/got everything...same for everyone else?

Yeah i could tell someone more or less when and where id bought every record ive ever owned and especially when i still had a very large collection of vinyl ...i would also take the price stickers off and put them inside of the sleeves so id remember how much the record had cost to buy...

At one point in my life all i ever did pretty much was collect records and make tunes with a sampler and i would be trawling around all over the place trying to find all the tunes on my wanted list and I used to keep a few A4 notebooks that contained hundreds of names of old funk and soul singles and jazz lp's that i was desperate to find and even more so if those records contained drumbreaks etc

I was obsessed with finding music at that time but ive bought very few records in the last few years now and when I have bought anything its been something old from the 60s or 70s reissued on a CD (God forbid) ive also noticed recently that the musicians i admire most are either very old or very dead lol

As for most modern stuff i literally cant stand to listen to it as the state of both Rock and Rap music these days is appallingly laughable in my opinion

so apart from a couple of Hip Hop related things ive got into recently and a few things people have posted of their own tunes on DV there's very little ive rated..

but i certainly cant think of a single current band i even remotely like or respect apart from First Aid Kit from Sweden who are a duo so they're not even a proper group anyway plus i only ever listen to them when im drunk or when the missus has gone out hehe

First bought for me: Me and You and a dog named Boo by Lobo on MFP

First bought by me: Under the moon of love by Showaddywaddy (I hated it, but I wanted to buy a record - in WG Stores Shepherds Bush Market) on Bell

First album: Frampton comes Alive on pink vinyl! A&M

Edited by GNOD
  • Like 1

First bought by me: Under the moon of love by Showaddywaddy (I hated it, but I wanted to buy a record - in WG Stores Shepherds Bush Market) on Bell

First album: Frampton comes Alive on pink vinyl! A&M

Lol

Showaddywaddy and Peter Frampton !

Love it... :d