Marcus B?

Seith

I've been searching for this guy's mixtapes for 3 years now, and i've got quite a few of them over time, but there's still more out there that I haven't been able to secure yet.

Marcus B, for anyone who doesn't know, is one of the original members of the 1200 hobos (dibbs' crew) who has been compared, at times, to DJ Shadow. Some who hear him actually place him above Shadow in terms of skill and composition. He started out in the mixtape scene in the mid-nineties with something different that set his mixtapes apart, in a league of their own - they were actual productions of his, occasionally playing a track or two of someone elses - but what made the line really blurry was that a lot of his sample sources were immediately recognizable. On his Scatterbrain mixtape, for example, he takes part of Radiohead's "Paranoid Android" and mixes it over a track he otherwise produced himself. On "Gollum's Ring", he will develop a groove by mixing 3 or 4 hip-hop tracks, then bringing several of his dark compositions into it leaving the listener wondering what to classify the mix as, but enjoying the ride nonetheless.

Anyway.

If anyone's interested in listening to any of his stuff, hit me up on soulseek (same name) and grab some. Most of the tapes of his that I have have been split up by me, to be more discman-friendly. My current collection of his work is:

Scatterbrain

Sunshine Ambassador

Gollum's Ring

Catastrophic Mush

In The Hour Of Chaos (ft. DJ Fingaz)

Superior Cynic

Square Circle - Say Hello To Square Circle (the band Marcus B had recently joined - I believe this band is still together, if anyone can shed some light on that it would be appreciated)

As of right now, I am missing the following tapes of his:

Gone With The Spin

Matrix Mix

Return of the Fett

Barnstormers

and rumour has it that he did a sequel to superior cynic. There are probably some others I haven't listed, too.

Links that I am aware of at this time:

http://www.epitonic.com/artists/marcusb.html

http://www.rabbitfighter.com/ (hasn't been updated in forever)

http://www.squarecirclemusic.com/

http://www.revoltrecords.com/bands/square_circle/index2.htm

(the whole Square Circle album can be found here: http://www.revoltrecords.com/audio/media_private/ )

I am somewhat new to these boards, but you all seem like a bunch of cool cats so I figure what the hey, might as well make my first post a good one for everyone. Hope someone sees this and can help with those missing tapes.

I remember someone talking about Marcus B before. They were saying one of his tapes was the best mixtape ever. I've never heard any of his stuff, but I wouldn't mind grabbing some mp3s off you if you don't mind Seith. I'll keep my eye out for the ones you're missing, but they sound quite rare.

Welcome to the board too.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, from bill and ted 2, and yeah, hit me up on soulseek, i'll send you all i got, these tapes are as good as people say they are

oh, and that epitonic link i put up has some of his tracks on the site for download in good quality off of two of his mixtapes

Edited by Seith

can't say i've heard of him, sounds good though - i like signifys stuff a lot.  check me on soulseek (cheesebaron) and i'll swap you for some Derek B.

Yeah, looks like his band released a new album too - about time! Pretty much guaranteed this album won't surface on p2p apps for a good 8-9 months, it's quite surprising this guy doesn't blow up like he should

anyone listen to the first square circle album i posted the link to yet? thoughts, input? and my soulseek is on pretty much 24/7, so if you're gonna grab the tapes, they're all there

• 5 weeks later...

Marcus is the fucking MAN. I've got all his mixes apart from Superior Cynic, and they're all fucking classics.

The one that's permanently eluded me though is Neptune Walker, which was one of his "creative pieces" (as I think he termed them) in the vein of Sunshine Ambassador and Catastrophic Mush.

I've been trying for ages to track the guy down too - hell if I could I'd sign his ass to Needlework in a shot. Shame he's always eluded me!

• 5 years later...

hi man welcome

i have a few of his tapes but

not the ones you are after sorry

he does some good shit

Easy Dee, is it possible we could do a trade for files? I've got a load of 'Buddy Peace and Zilla' and Mr Dibbs mixes in a similar style if you want them?

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

marcus b! That guy is from where is live San Diego California. He was really active for awhile. I have not heard of any recent material from him.

He had a few 12" records out. He had this one record with Dj Fingers and another one that was a compilation. Both really sick with the beats to scratch from.

marcus b! That guy is from where is live San Diego California. He was really active for awhile. I have not heard of any recent material from him.

He had a few 12" records out. He had this one record with Dj Fingers and another one that was a compilation. Both really sick with the beats to scratch from.

Salute dude, used to buy loads of your releases back in the controller 7 forum days, hope you're good

Salute dude, used to buy loads of your releases back in the controller 7 forum days, hope you're good

Yo! Everythings cool down here. Im still making beats and making home made records.

Sorry for thread derail!

He's had some stuff up on youtube in the last few years. He had a Psych Rock band called Sir Splendid that used to post. I was messaging with him a few years ago about how to identify his real tapes vs bootlegs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

Yo! Everythings cool down here. Im still making beats and making home made records.

Sorry for thread derail!

Big shout, Jon - glad to hear all's good. Looking forward to the latest Tenshun/Bonzo brutality that you and Andrey have been cooking up!

Sorry for thread derail!

Big shout, Jon - glad to hear all's good. Looking forward to the latest Tenshun/Bonzo brutality that you and Andrey have been cooking up!

Thanks Pete! I heard that you have a split with Madslo in the works as well!

Looking forward to hearing it!

Guest petesasqwax

Thanks man, it shouldn't be too long now. Damien is putting it out on IHAA. I remember talking about doing a tape for IHAA years ago when Justin was running it - it's nice for it to be happening now.

• 2 weeks later...

don't know if you're still looking for those mixes, someone just posted Gone with the Spin on my blog, I'll ask him tomorrow if he has the others you're after...

http://choicestcuts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/marcus-b-gone-with-spin.html

I see you have it already Seith but for anyone else Superior Cynic is posted on TMU blog - http://themixtapeunites.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/marcus-b-superior-cynic.html

Guest petesasqwax

DOPE! Thanks for those, man - I can't remember what I have and what I'm missing, but I'll dig through the archives and see what I have to share