Cleaning the Eternal Fader without opening it?

So I put a stick-on-label onto the fader stem to steady the fader cap. Bad idea as the label slowly crumbled and I now have residual glue or whatever from the label inside the fader. So now the fader no longer slides on its rail as smoothly as before. I tried cleaning it with pressure spray and it helped a bit but I can feel that there is still some dirt on the rail.

I've heard that opening the Eternal Fader can be a hassle (more so putting it back together), so how do you guys clean it? Should I get some rubbing alcohol and put it on a small piece of cloth and try to clean the rail from the top?

Guest rasteri

I suppose you could immerse the whole thing in very slightly dish-soapy warm water for half an hour (moving the slider a few times while it's immersed) then again in isopropyl alcohol (again moving the fader a bunch). Then make sure you get it totally dry (perhaps use a hairdryer), then lube the rails.

• Like 1

It's not too hard to open an eternal, but there are two ways to do it. One way is right and will do no harm, the other way will snap the sensor board off the bit that slides on the rails. I will be in the same place as the mixer I saw this on tonight and I can take pics and explain better what I mean.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot to both of you! So there is no problem with putting the whole fader including the switch board into soapy water if I dry it properly? That's good to hear!

Also, thank you, Rock Well for the offer but I'm not sure if I want to open the fader because this would break the seal (not that there's any warranty left on it but I'm thinking about selling my Nuo with the Eternal Fader at some point in the future).

I suppose you could immerse the whole thing in very slightly dish-soapy warm water for half an hour (moving the slider a few times while it's immersed) then again in isopropyl alcohol (again moving the fader a bunch). Then make sure you get it totally dry (perhaps use a hairdryer), then lube the rails.

Just one more question: Would you recommend only using distilled water? Also, the water hardness is pretty high here. Sorry for being an idiot at everything electronics but I don't want to destroy anything. :)

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/141293/cleaning-pcbs-using-water

Guest rasteri

Although, be aware the labels will come off if you soak them in water and iso anyway. TBH I wouldn't care about the fader labels, I'd much prefer to buy a used fader that had been cleaned than a dirty one with a hypothetical warranty.

Just wanted so say thanks - worked very well.

• 4 months later...