Stupid cardboard mailer size question

Deft

I need a new front door, and if I am paying a million pounds for an artisan woodworker to make one - I might as well get a big fuck off letterplate put on so the dream of someone posting 12" records through could become a reality (though I'm thinking a metre drop to the floor isn't that much fun for a record).

Obviously a record is about 12", but once you have a few in a normal mailer - what's the proper width in mm? I don't seem to have any packaged records here to check. I've seen some letterplates with a 320mm aperture, but I'm thinking it might be a bit tight.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it seems most 12" mailers are actually 340 mm x 340 mm. So I must now find a letterbox with at least a 350 mm opening I reckon. Once I get this amazing door / letterbox combo I will update this thread with pics, of course.

Sorry man, I said I was going to measure a mailer for you but I forgot. I've let you down.

That's going to be one fucking big letterbox. Sounds cool though. Plus if you leave the house and forget your door keys, you should be able to reach into your letterbox and open the door from the inside. Bonus!

Well, you may be extremely interested to know that most letter plate apertures are about 260 mm so I'm thinking 4 cm extra on each side isn't going to look too mental.

I'm getting my house wired up like fort knox soon to protect my ltd edition turntables, so I'm not worried about gorilla armed burglars.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This door business ain't no joke. I managed to get a decent size letter plate, but frankly it looks a bit shit in terms of aesthetics. I'm gonna have to get a blacksmith or something to forge me one from elvish gold.