DV Beat Battle #14

Steve

Let's get this shit rolling again!

RULES:

(1) Produce a beat (to be scratched over) between 1:30-2:00 long.

(2) No genre restrictions - from orthodox to experimental, whatever suits you.

(3) Then post the beat on here!

Deadline for beat submission is midday on June 26th.

Good luck!

• Like 3

If your SoundCloud links aren't automatically embedding (that will happen with certain browsers), edit your post and you'll see this: -

http://i.imgur.com/4ci0zLW.jpg

If you don't see that, just click the little button top-left of the posting box to switch to the other editor mode. Then just manually edit the link down so it's just the regular link, i.e. it looks like this: -

http://i.imgur.com/jJelwSA.jpg

Then hit "Save Changes" and the SoundCloud player will appear. The same with any other link that should auto-embed (a YouTube video for example), but doesn't.

Another way to force it to embed is to use the old MEDIA tags when you're initially creating your post: -

[media]SoundCloud link goes here[/media]

Guest Symatic

yep. serato running into xone02, xone02 send going to line in on laptop, line in used as input for Mobius Looper which is running inside Ableton so i can do more post production if i want to , then line out coming back to xone02 return.

Mobius has up to 8 tracks looping simultaniously, and I configured it to output each of these to a separate track in ableton, whic means when i record in ableton i get every traqck isolated.

also it allows me to use send and returns on every track separately.

ends up with a bit of latency, but not enough to really worry about. maybe more ram would help tho.

I think i end up adapting my style to be looser to use the loop pedal, but its not that noticable.

The DVS running at the same time doesnt seem to add much latency. I had the same amount when i was just using vinyl.

DVS is ideal in this setup because you can obviously make your own instrumental sentences, and also with all the record movement, loop-tracks get very noisy with your hand bouncing on the record and so on. you dont get this with dvs.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

the £15 one? was thinkin about getting that cos imaschine wont let you sample very easily... need a audio interface first tho

I didn't think it was that much. I thought it was only £2.99. Maybe. I used to have money and was frivolous. I certainly wouldn't pay that much now!

Unless the Traktor app was developed so you could feed a timecode signal via iRig, then it played audio out of the headphone output. Then I'd pay up to £20. I wouldn't even care if it only did one deck so you needed 2 iPhones.

Guest Symatic

yeah £15 for an app would be a lot, but imaschine was such a let down considering what it could have been!

Sy - thanks for your earlier set-up explanation. I really want to start practising loop pedal routines again. Since I sold my hardware to get a computer that would solve all my problems, it's been the one thing that's never been properly replaced.

I love the Z2 for many things, but its restrictions stop me using it like you describe above. In theory I could just plug my FireWire interface in too to get round this, but whenever I plug into my computer at the same time as a traktor USB one, I get this weird electrical interference sound.

In other news though, I just sold my old MPC and card reader and replaced it with a bargain MPC1000, which with JJ OS 2XL can be used as a hardware loop pedal.

hmmm got 2 beats, one for the looper and one for this ... not sure which to use for which now...

hmmm got 2 beats, one for the looper and one for this ... not sure which to use for which now...

I feel your pain - my beat was meant to be a loop for SSS looper, then this popped up and I went for the last minute conversion.

One of those beats you played me the other weekend I remember to be particularly blazing, although typically all were good.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Senor Rockwell - How much did you get for your mpc? Was it easy to sell? I was thinking of selling mine and want to see if it's worth bothering?