New standalone MPCs

Dan

The Sp 808's problem was the Zip drives Roland installed in them

Every machine i had (and I had 3 altogether) just had the same problem where the zip discs would become corrupted and crash

I even got to the point where I was recording as little as possible onto each disc separately in the vain hope of trying to avoid this happening and the fucking things would still pack up on me

Im hoping that the rumoured CF mod for the sp 808 is still gonna happen but from what I hear they keep hitting a brick wall with it...if you read this Flexi, have you heard of any further developments on this yet by any chance ?

Ok, so I did some digging around on the net and apparently the only CF drive that is compatible with the sp 808 is the one that the Akai Mpd uses which is the blue version of the original 2000 XL i believe.

Does anyone here know if Akai sells this particular CF drive as a replacement part ?

Any insight would be massively appreciated.

Ok, so I did some digging around on the net and apparently the only CF drive that is compatible with the sp 808 is the one that the Akai Mpd uses which is the blue version of the original 2000 XL i believe.

Does anyone here know if Akai sells this particular CF drive as a replacement part ?

Any insight would be massively appreciated.

I saw one here on the mpcstuff website:

https://www.mpcstuff.com/akai-mpc-2000xl-mcd-drive-kit-hot-swappable-used-black/

Its a bit pricy but i bet you could find one cheaper if you search around.

It looks like the one in that video

Ah, many thanks man !

The good news is ive found a Roland approved engineer who is only about 20 miles from where I live who's told me it will cost around £25 for him to check the 808 and see what the problem is which I thought was pretty reasonable

Hopefully it would be cost effective to get the machine back up and running as tbh the inbuilt FX on the sampler are second to none and far superior to any of the other SP models, so if it can be fixed at a decent price i'll seriously consider the CF option

I might have to try and shop around tho like you say as $275 seems a bit steep for a drive for it !

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

To be honest, I can't ever imagine I'd get a new model MPC, but the more I think about it, the more I could see myself getting a 1000 before the year is out

Do it Pete, you know you wanna get back in the grid edit screen again :d :((

Only joking mate, I'm thinking about treating the old girl to a XL screen as I'm getting older and being hunched over isn't doing me any good :((

The Sp 808's problem was the Zip drives Roland installed in them

Every machine i had (and I had 3 altogether) just had the same problem where the zip discs would become corrupted and crash

I even got to the point where I was recording as little as possible onto each disc separately in the vain hope of trying to avoid this happening and the fucking things would still pack up on me

Im hoping that the rumoured CF mod for the sp 808 is still gonna happen but from what I hear they keep hitting a brick wall with it...if you read this Flexi, have you heard of any further developments on this yet by any chance ?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sd-atapi-conversion-adapter-for-roland-sp-808ex#/

5 days left, its not happening dude, 1 backer only

You can use a MCD out of an original MPC2000xl, and most of those guys want them replaced anyway, but those utter shitwatfuckbuckets at MPCStuff are buying up everyone they can find and charging $300 for them.

But.........

The zip 750mb are actually pretty cheap drives off ebay, and they are faster and much more reliable, so that is pretty much the only way forward within reality, or do what i did, sell the cunts last month and buy an iPad hahaha

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

To be honest, I can't ever imagine I'd get a new model MPC, but the more I think about it, the more I could see myself getting a 1000 before the year is out

Only joking mate, I'm thinking about treating the old girl to a XL screen as I'm getting older and being hunched over isn't doing me any good :((

Hehe - the Holmes, Ric, has a 1000 with the XL screen and it's a thing of absolute beauty!

Hehe - the Holmes, Ric, has a 1000 with the XL screen and it's a thing of absolute beauty!

Looks even better on the 2500 Pete :wub:

• Like 1

Looks even better on the 2500 Pete :wub:

Dude that looks pimped out! I might have to do that to my 1000!

^^^ See, that's what I really want, an MPC 2500. I've just heard the work flow the Maschine's is way better though, and apparently it interfaces well with Traktor and my Z2. Still, that 2500 is fuckin' sick, especially with some thick ass pads. Damn, I bounce back and forth on this one.

Something I've been pondering...Since the 2500 is midi compatible, I assume it's possible to use it as a controller for Ableton?

Guest petesasqwax

Justin - every time somebody uses an MPC as a controller for Ableton a little baby b-boy dies. Do you want that on your conscience? Do you want that blood on your hands?

Remember: just because you can midi something up, doesn't mean you should ;)

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

Tenshun - the XL screen is the shit, seriously! When I first saw pictures I thought it might be a bit gimmicky - like fucking Kanye getting Bruce Forat to paint fucking Louis Vuitton wankery on his 2000XL - but I've seen that screen in action and it's dope.

• Like 1

Justin - every time somebody uses an MPC as a controller for Ableton a little baby b-boy dies. Do you want that on your conscience? Do you want that blood on your hands?

Haha sig worthy but damn true :@@

Remember: just because you can midi something up, doesn't mean you should ;)

I literally lolled, thanks for setting me straight.

Wow, "lolled" is apparently a real word now 'cause it didn't generate the annoying underline spelling fix.

I'm onto something fellas...er on something.

• 4 months later...

Yeah i was really interested until the price jump, now they can fuck off!

Reviews seem mostly positive tho, a few issue here and there but software updates should fix them all.

Having never used an MPC still not 100% on the workflow