Phase - Needleless DVS

Jon

This looks amazing - it works with any DVS. A hub sits between your turntables and your mixer and sends wireless data to a reader that sits on top of your record. The hub also acts as a charger for the readers. Eliminating all the issues you can face with needles and they're portable. I'm at NAMM over the weekend so will try them out and report back. Obviously there's some turntablist stuff like needle dropping that can't be done with this, but from a DVS using club DJ perspective this is sick. I was tempted by the Rane 12s but this looks infinitely more portable:

https://djworx.com/meet-phase-wireless-dvs-tech-coming-control-vinyl-carts/

Wonder how much of a pain this is for Rane. Might take a bit of the shine off the 12.

Please have a go on the 12 too and film the results, (if you're allowed...)

Here's the vid from the link above

I heard the batteries will last 12 hours, and the expected price was €200-300

Pretty amazing concept. Like any new concept Im a little suspicious of how it will work in reality. I could see some potential issues. And for me dont see how its really any more portable than a serato box. The price might be a big driver.

This should be a centre sticker sized circle with a screen that automatically shows your sticker points and perhaps also track names etc. I had an idea for this years ago, still using DVs but just an led array on a sticker that Bluetooth transmitted your sticker info. The biggest drawback (aside from performance) with DVs as I see it is losing where your stickers are

• Like 3

Yeah this is dope. Super responsive, and very accurate at slow record movements- more than Serato usually tbh. No grainy noises etc. There's a video of me using it on my Instagram here : www.instagram.com/Jon1st

There is some drift sometimes when you go slow but they're aiming to get it fixed with firmware updates.

• Like 5

Well Im sold :) would saved my bacon a couple of times in the last few months from poorly isolated stages.

100% clean signal delivered straight to mixer interface will undoubtedly beat needle interpreting DVS signal thru handruff filled grooves.

Would be sic if DVS softwares officially supported and read the circle position movement directly to avoid going thru A/D converters and bring latency down further. That said after seeing the vid of the Phase device keeping up with Shortkuts stabs and the workout Jon gave it I think its safe to say the inherent latency from wireless is negligible.

For obvious reasons Its unlikely to beat the Rane 12 for ultimate scratch feels but with the phase being less than a 3rd of the price and a fraction of the size, sales of Rane 12 are surely gonna be effected.

• Like 1

Wow, check Gizmo out being all skeptical!

Forgive me if I don't snap the tone arms off my turntables and write an Ortofon obituary based on some hyperbole-heavy PR. I need hands on, and deep thought about the implications, before writing gushing literary praise.

Just think about this for a second — the success of Phase is dependent on the key players allowing the Phase generated timecode to work with their software. But if Phase impacts on their future hardware sales, how long do you think they'll allow it to work with their software?

• Like 2

Just think about this for a second the success of Phase is dependent on the key players allowing the Phase generated timecode to work with their software. But if Phase impacts on their future hardware sales, how long do you think they'll allow it to work with their software?

Yeah thats a thought, the phase receiver is generating a licensed timecode signal, be interesting to see how that plays out. The only way for software to patch it is a tight AF patent on the timecode signal itself.

If they sold the receivers without any DVS signal and left it for users to instal it them selfs.... potential loop hole.

I thought it was interesting that the same company who made the mixfader app got away with using both serato and Traktor signals to control its mixfader DVS, maybe they exploited a loop hole there or more likely it was deemed the app wasnt worth a legal challenge from Serato/Traktor.

• Like 1

Just think about this for a second the success of Phase is dependent on the key players allowing the Phase generated timecode to work with their software. But if Phase impacts on their future hardware sales, how long do you think they'll allow it to work with their software?

Yeah thats a thought, the phase receiver is generating a licensed timecode signal, be interesting to see how that plays out. The only way for software to patch it is a tight AF patent on the timecode signal itself.

If they sold the receivers without any DVS signal and left it for users to instal it them selfs.... potential loop hole.

I thought it was interesting that the same company who made the mixfader app got away with using both serato and Traktor signals to control its mixfader DVS, maybe they exploited a loop hole there or more likely it was deemed the app wasnt worth a legal challenge from Serato/Traktor.

Anybody can read timecode and use it however they wish in their software, so no loophole, it is only the recording/reproduction/resale of that Timecode that could ever be protected.

That's why most software actually supports all Timecodes, unless they are up their own ass and trying to sell you a particular timecode system.

• Like 2

Wow, check Gizmo out being all skeptical!

Forgive me if I don't snap the tone arms off my turntables and write an Ortofon obituary based on some hyperbole-heavy PR. I need hands on, and deep thought about the implications, before writing gushing literary praise.

Just think about this for a second — the success of Phase is dependent on the key players allowing the Phase generated timecode to work with their software. But if Phase impacts on their future hardware sales, how long do you think they'll allow it to work with their software?

That was supposed to be a compliment because all I've heard is gushing from everybody else. It's a cool gadget but I think your skepticism is merited.

• 2 months later...