Nanofader boards

Guest rasteri

Guest rasteri

Nicely done, you managed it quicker than backtrack. Although to be fair to him, I did solder all the chips on your board the correct way round.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the install of the board and fader pretty simple, about an hour's work and all straight forward. But for some reason actually fitting the fader in the casing and even cleaning the old slipmat glue off the platter took about 2 hours! I'm a proper chimp with a dremel and somehow didn't measure the holes properly first time either :unsure:

The fader position might look odd but works real well for me. All size records are usable too.

My turntable does seem to make a bit of a nasty fizzy/rumbly noise when it's on though - like a shit laptop plugged into a PA. I'm pretty sure it did this before my modding though and I need to try it with batteries to see if that sorts it out. With my phone plugged in, the beats do come out a bit quiet compared to the scratching. But my laptop's louder output solves that.

Basically, even with a few niggles to work on, I'm chuffed with it.

Now I just need to get a decent minijack cable, some rechargable batteries, get a skin for it to cover my handy work, work out the 'bass kill' mod and eventually get a 44-7 on there! :d

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

My turntable does seem to make a bit of a nasty fizzy/rumbly noise when it's on though - like a shit laptop plugged into a PA. I'm pretty sure it did this before my modding though and I need to try it with batteries to see if that sorts it out.

Let me know how you get on, maybe make a recording of the noise? The PT-01 doesn't really have a proper phono preamp so it might just be that.

With my phone plugged in, the beats do come out a bit quiet compared to the scratching. But my laptop's louder output solves that.

Yeah since there's no volume control I wasn't 100% sure how to set the relative gains - I set up the circuit so it gives the AUX IN twice the volume of the record and that seemed to be enough for my phone, but it's a simple mod to increase the volume further, solder on two resistors (maybe 47k? the smaller the louder) across R16 and R17 and you'll increase the volume.

work out the 'bass kill' mod

I really should have provided information about that, basically you just need two jumpers (like these - http://cpc.farnell.com/fci/65474-002lf/socket-jumper-0-1-tin/dp/CN18424)and put them on the bass kill connector. You can wire it up to a switch if you like, hit me up for details.

BTW someone seems to have hacked the wiki so I guess I better sort that out :)

My turntable does seem to make a bit of a nasty fizzy/rumbly noise when it's on though - like a shit laptop plugged into a PA. I'm pretty sure it did this before my modding though and I need to try it with batteries to see if that sorts it out.

Let me know how you get on, maybe make a recording of the noise? The PT-01 doesn't really have a proper phono preamp so it might just be that.

With my phone plugged in, the beats do come out a bit quiet compared to the scratching. But my laptop's louder output solves that.

Yeah since there's no volume control I wasn't 100% sure how to set the relative gains - I set up the circuit so it gives the AUX IN twice the volume of the record and that seemed to be enough for my phone, but it's a simple mod to increase the volume further, solder on two resistors (maybe 47k? the smaller the louder) across R16 and R17 and you'll increase the volume.

work out the 'bass kill' mod

I really should have provided information about that, basically you just need two jumpers (like these - http://cpc.farnell.com/fci/65474-002lf/socket-jumper-0-1-tin/dp/CN18424)and put them on the bass kill connector. You can wire it up to a switch if you like, hit me up for details.

BTW someone seems to have hacked the wiki so I guess I better sort that out :)

Thanks mate, I'll PM you about all these things!

Although I haven't solved my niggles yet (my own tardiness), after using this some more, I've come to the conclusion that this mod is fucking amazing!

In particular, how very nice the fader now is. Not just good for a portable, but just straight good. Like I'd be happy with it in any mixer good. I've got one of the serviced PCVs in mine and I swear it's better than any PCV I've ever used before. They were never my favourite faders and until fairly recently I used one sometimes at the school in an old 06. It had the washer mod to make the cut-in smaller and all that, but it never felt crisp like this one does running through the nanoboard. There wasn't even any setting up faff either, just plugged it in ready to set the lag with the dial on the board, but it didn't even need that. It was a perfect (for me) 1mm cut in distance on both sides. A far cry from my innofader experiences!

Andy - I assume that this particularly nice cut on the fader, that somehow feels a bit crisper and seems to give a bit more clarity to scratches than a standard PCV setup is down to the board and whatever decisions you had to make when designing it?

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Andy - I assume that this particularly nice cut on the fader, that somehow feels a bit crisper and seems to give a bit more clarity to scratches than a standard PCV setup is down to the board and whatever decisions you had to make when designing it?

That's what happens when mixer circuits are designed by someone who actually cuts :)

The ultra-sharp cut is really a side effect of how simple/cheap the circuit is - most mixers have a tiny amount of decay/fadeout but the nanofader just immediately mutes the signal.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

thankyou rasteri

got mine all installed was gonna get a mini inno for it but since I had an old vestax pcv fader laying around I decided to just use that

took a bit of messing around a few days of pain there thinking I screwed it trying to solder to the circuit board but I made it in the end

I had a bit of a hum coming through and after reading the pt-01 buzzing noise thread I have removed all the wires to the usb board and completely disconnected it

it made a huge difference the hum is almost completely gone its still just there very lightly

its definitely coming from the motor as it starts as soon as you start the platter hopefully I can eliminate it completely but its really not a problem

so here it is my installed and working nanofader v1 and vestax pcv fader

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

Great job man :)

Did you also get rid of the USB board ground lead, that thick black one? (oo-er)

snip it off at the power supply end if not, I reckon that'll be picking up induced current from the motor.

yeh I removed all 3 power, audio and ground

thinking I may aswell actually just unscrew the board and take it out of there completely it will give me more room for the fader

then I can stick the pcb from the bottom of the crossfader back on and have it hooked up with a plug for easy removal if needed

rather than soldering directly to the pins on the crossfader

I tried to do this at first but with the usb board the fader wouldnt fit so I removed the pcb from the fader to fit it in

now that I see how much issues that usb board causes I totally agree its not at all worth keeping

I advise anyone else who's attempting to install the nanofader board and a real crossfader just completely remove the usb board you'll give yourself more room and get rid of the hums

Guest rasteri

No idea mate, sorry. I'm sure it could be made to work but you might have to do some fiddling, and I can't really help as I don't have a touring.

The shop has one in stock but I think my boss would object to me taking it apart, haha.