El-P x Guitar Pedals (/guitar pedals FTW)

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

I'm posting a video, but it didn't seem like the Non-Member Videos thing was the place to put this because it's not like it's a track or anything like that.

That exposed reverb looks like the shit - kind of like my Spring King but with the lid off. Obviously the MoogerFooger delay is fucking p0rn, but I've never messed with a harmonizer - anyone else had any experience with one? The ring mod is dope, but the dissonant approach doesn't always do much for me other than make it hard to get sounds to fit together - I'm sure I'd change my mind if I actually got my hands on one though...

• Like 2

heres something i learned a while ago from Sound On Sound magazine...

Take Tony Visconti ,an Eventide Harmonizer ,some mics and a drum kit played by the dope ass Dennis Davies and it = ...those amazingly thick and sludgy but crisp as fuck drums on Bowie's Low lp -

the first track Speed Of Life or the intro to Sound & Vision are good examples of the sound he created...

genius thinking which he kept a secret for years ( apparently he was asked how the drums had been recorded almost daily by other producers )and something id love to try out for myself one day

Ps Hello Petesasqwax !.. :((

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Holy fuck, Dan - that's awesome info! I'm going to mess with some drums and a plugin this evening and see if I do need a Harmonizer pedal after all :d

Mutis - don't get me wrong, man: although I'm all about the Echo Dream 2, I have a lot of time for Monotron Delay!

• Like 2

Holy fuck, Dan - that's awesome info! I'm going to mess with some drums and a plugin this evening and see if I do need a Harmonizer pedal after all :d

hehe- i thought you might somehow .and id love to hear the results !....but yeah it was a totally great idea of Vsconti's and if you go to the Sound on Sound website (i think the whole interview is still on there in the archives ) he explains in detail how he was the first or second producer to own the Eventide and how the Berlin Trilogy of albums were recorded and the techniques that were involved in making them

its a fascinating read and id recommend that any aspiring producer check it out

• Like 1

I have enjoyed dealing with some weird fx (and bends) like monotrons, harmonizers and vocal fx units. These things brings lots of fun to producing/tablism for sure.

Pete I bend monotrons and cdx nothing expensive like eventides lol

Ps: there is a "like all" or "like this topic" button hide somewhere? :V

Edited by Mutis Mayfield
  • Like 1

Ive experimented with guitar pedals on drums over the years in both recorded live and sampled form

my MXR Phase 90 pedal from 1974 for example sounds amazing on the short range setting on snares &

id often combine it with a long or slap back delay for some cool sounding rolls and stuff

i also owned a very early Boss CE 1 that i used to use on cymbals when i recorded drumtracks at our old rehearsal room using the drumkit

you can get some really nice gliding effects that way and it sounds wicked on ride cymbals and especially the riveted type of rides we had at the time ..Zildjans possibly i cant remember which but it doesnt matter

also if youre a lazy or a limited drummer you can set a delay to repeat in doubles or triplets hooked up to a ride and just play single hits and before you know it you'll be swinging like a pro lol .. :d

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I haven't found the right SoS one yet, but I did find this:

UNCUT: Is it true that, when David asked what your Eventide Harmonizer did, you blurted "It messes with the fabric of time!"? How revolutionary do you think that sound was you created? And its influence in later years?

tv: I actually said, "It fucks with the fabric of time," much to the delight of David and Brian, who were on a conference call with me at the time. I must've been quoted in a family magazine.

It was a radical sound, especially on the drums. I had the second Harmonizer in Europe and I guessed it would be a matter of time before other producers figured out what I was doing. But when the album came out the Harmonizer still wasn't widely available. I had loads of producers phoning me and asking what I had done, but I wouldn't tell them. I asked, instead, how they thought I did it and I got some great answers that I found inspirational. One producer insisted I compressed the drum tracks three separate times and slowed the tape down every time, or something like that. I also used the Harmonizer to great effect on some vocals, but especially on side two.

I've heard hundreds of "Low sounds" on other records since.

Hehe - any effect that fucks with fabric of time is a definite on my wants list!!

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

I had this idea to take the 3 monotron units and back a master effects rig which had a built in patch bay so you could run sounds through in different orders. Basically you'd take the ribbon controller off completely (or, if you REALLY wanted to go all out, attach a regular little midi keyboard and build yourself a Microbrute :d ) and then have the essence of each effect in a single unit so that you have a real analogue multi-effects unit in a relatively little box for around £100.

I doubt I'll ever do it because I lack the ability and the time, but I still love the idea

• Like 2

I haven't found the right SoS one yet, but I did find this:

UNCUT: Is it true that, when David asked what your Eventide Harmonizer did, you blurted "It messes with the fabric of time!"? How revolutionary do you think that sound was you created? And its influence in later years?

tv: I actually said, "It fucks with the fabric of time," much to the delight of David and Brian, who were on a conference call with me at the time. I must've been quoted in a family magazine.

It was a radical sound, especially on the drums. I had the second Harmonizer in Europe and I guessed it would be a matter of time before other producers figured out what I was doing. But when the album came out the Harmonizer still wasn't widely available. I had loads of producers phoning me and asking what I had done, but I wouldn't tell them. I asked, instead, how they thought I did it and I got some great answers that I found inspirational. One producer insisted I compressed the drum tracks three separate times and slowed the tape down every time, or something like that. I also used the Harmonizer to great effect on some vocals, but especially on side two.

I've heard hundreds of "Low sounds" on other records since.

Hehe - any effect that fucks with fabric of time is a definite on my wants list!!

Pete this has got me thinking ,

i was listening to your track Mini Police Brutality last night funnily enough and when the drums kick in at 02.12 they have a similar sort of sound to what we are discussing here with the harmonizer so maybe an experiment with the drumtrack from that would be a good one to try it out on ?

i really liked the sound of the drums on that track as you already know

it hits em up fucking hard ass regardless

• Like 1

I had this idea to take the 3 monotron units and back a master effects rig which had a built in patch bay so you could run sounds through in different orders. Basically you'd take the ribbon controller off completely (or, if you REALLY wanted to go all out, attach a regular little midi keyboard and build yourself a Microbrute :d ) and then have the essence of each effect in a single unit so that you have a real analogue multi-effects unit in a relatively little box for around £100.

I doubt I'll ever do it because I lack the ability and the time, but I still love the idea

I have my delay waiting for something in this direction. Also if someone want midify its monotron classic or delay I have some midi-if kits collecting dust in the basement...

• Like 1

I dont know if i told you about the history of that MS 20 before Pete but i only paid £85 for it when i bought it back in 1995

When i asked the kid why he was selling it he said and i quote

"Cause its fucking crap " :d :d

Lol -you can probably imagine how hard I was trying not laugh at him..

When i 'accidentally' sold it a few years later i did make a tidy profit on it but it was still a major mistake

The Korg actually ended up being sold to the famous EMIS music shop and synth museum in Mangotsfield on the outskirts of Bristol which is an amazing place and home to the biggest collection of vintage synths in the UK

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Hehe - it reminds me of the story on the Moog doc where I think it's Keith Emerson says he got his first Moog from a Hollywood actor who said it didn't work properly... because it only played one note at a time!

(Delayed reaction)

£85??? Holy FUCK!

• Like 1

I dont know mate ..but have you got a spare 5 grand laying around you could loan me for the Pink Floyd synth just in case they are ?.. :d

Edit-alas the museum is no more its been closed to the public and is now just a private collection- apparently there are visitors that are allowed in but you need one hell of a story in order to gain access unfortunately