Getting clean vocal cuts

x2k

Some thing that really pisses my off is when I see someone cutting with superseal and the sound coming out goes "ah ye ye yeah"

This reason it pisses me off is because when I cut ah yeah it goes "ah fdhy fhsy eereah"

I just can't for the life of my get the beginning of the yeah, I get it with many different samples, unless you get a nice clean tight start I just can't get that clean chop.

Anyone get any tips?

Yeah I mean releasing the record and I'll post a file soon. The thing is even if I just slow the right down and just try and find the beginning of the word I can't real find it as the 2 words sort of run into each other so I can get that sharp ye ye yeah.

Something like say what is completely different because the words are properly separate but some how people get really clean ye ye yeahs

what got my phrasing alot better and then in turn what you're talking about is only cutting with accapellas for a while.

it was annoying at first cos you really can to be on point, but i was enjoying it so didnt mind that much. Then after a while once you start getting comfy with it, going back to a one word sample is pretty easy.

what got my phrasing alot better and then in turn what you're talking about is only cutting with accapellas for a while.

Don't use phrasing like this or I'll delete the entire board.

Phrasing is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5z4RkiGxJQ

Phrasing =/= scratching phrases.

(for further reading see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase_(music))

what would you call what im referring to then Vekked?

Sentence scratching or vocal cutting or word cutting I suppose, it's just that calling it phrasing is confusing because phrasing already refers to an important/relevant musical concept that's been used to describe scratching for a while now. You're not the first or last to use phrasing like that tho.

This is just about being to do stabs efficiently, no? Stabs are an overlooked but really important thing to practice... I learned to do em fast by copying the Piklz' famous stab routine at the end of their ITF team entry vs. the X-men, aka the 'Piklz vs klamz of death'.. have a go, it may help..

you can hear it @ 12.50 mins here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjJ4-GIWBDk

Edited by Danny Crash

I think it's not stabs specifically, but like release stabs. I don't really do release stabs often but I know they're not nearly as tight as my normal stabs. Some people seem to be able to do release stabs really fast tho (Qbert, Unkut, and I-Dee come to mind)

Yeah there's a difference between these ('cuts' or 'forwards') and stabs. Stabs you hold onto the record and with 'cuts'/'forwards' you are letting go of the record.

In my DMC routine I posted at 0:32 i do stabs and at 0:33 i directly follow them with cuts/forwards. When done quickly stabs have a slight pitched sound to them, whereas forwards/cuts are much cleaner and are a bit like hearing the same sound played over and over again.

"Release stabs"?

A forward is when you play a full sample at the regular speed, close the fader, pull it back, then play it again. "say what..what..what..what" for instance.

A stab is when it's just the start of the sample, so "say..wh..wh..wh..what".

Then it's a stab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRvGrxj6hQ0

From 4 minutes on, that's all stabs apart from the forward at 4:12 (then obviously there's other scratches after that).

It would be silly if a stab was any "tip" type scratch that was anything but the sample at its regular speed.

A mix of stabs and forwards I recorded as an example for someone about 5 years ago: -

Stabs.mp3

And all of that is pretty much the record going forward at its set speed, but it's not all forwards.