Pac inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

djdiggla

Jay Z is who I can't really get into. I've tried a few times over the years. Just don't feel it. Surprised you saw Outkast as pop. Guess being from the south it was spot on. Also surprised you don't like Pacs beats. IMO half those were were the best stuff Dre ever did and then the stuff he did early on were meh but I thought the beats in Machiavelli (sp?) were pretty out there. Regionally tho, those beats were much more like what was going on in Texas and the south. Seems like y'all really dig the east coast sound which I guess makes sense for proximity but those beats were fine I guess but pretty bland, poorly EQ'd and lacking any dynamic. Big car systems shaped a lot of music in the south and west. And the regional music played to that. Ain't no way you gonna listen to something from the east because it sounds like shit in the ride. Basically if you don't have a boss system you'll never understand g-funk style.

Guest broke

Surprised you saw Outkast as pop.

They had a couple of big hits in the UK when I was living there, so I sort of wrote them off as commercial and never bothered to dig any deeper. It wasn't until the Big Boi solo album that I went back and checked out all the old OutKast stuff.

Regionally tho, those beats were much more like what was going on in Texas and the south. Seems like y'all really dig the east coast sound which I guess makes sense for proximity but those beats were fine I guess but pretty bland, poorly EQ'd and lacking any dynamic. Big car systems shaped a lot of music in the south and west. And the regional music played to that. Ain't no way you gonna listen to something from the east because it sounds like shit in the ride. Basically if you don't have a boss system you'll never understand g-funk style.

I was heavily into the East Coast sound until the early-mid 00s, now I find a lot of it too samey. But see these days I listen to more UGK than, say, something produced by Primo, which is why I thought I'd go back and re-listen to 2pac... but nope, still not feeling it. I hear you on the whole car system thing, I think that probably did play a big part in the regional styles.

So Diggla are you a fan of Freddie Gibbs? He seems to me like a more evolved 2pac, flow wise.

• Like 1

Oddly enough Hammer was pretty hood and had a lot of street cred. Basically grew up on the street and raised himself. Got by doing odds and ends jobs for Davis and the Raiders. Managed to polish it up for his music persona but everyone knew you don't fuck with Hammer. Like seriously.

This is very true.

I've got a friend who's known MC Hammer personally for 25 years and he was the main lighting engineer on Hammer's world tours in the early 1990's and they've remained friends ever since.

Hammer is one dude you definitely don't want to mess with from the stories I've been told about him.

Damn, I had no idea he was so gangsta'.

Surprised you saw Outkast as pop.

They had a couple of big hits in the UK when I was living there, so I sort of wrote them off as commercial and never bothered to dig any deeper. It wasn't until the Big Boi solo album that I went back and checked out all the old OutKast stuff.

Regionally tho, those beats were much more like what was going on in Texas and the south. Seems like y'all really dig the east coast sound which I guess makes sense for proximity but those beats were fine I guess but pretty bland, poorly EQ'd and lacking any dynamic. Big car systems shaped a lot of music in the south and west. And the regional music played to that. Ain't no way you gonna listen to something from the east because it sounds like shit in the ride. Basically if you don't have a boss system you'll never understand g-funk style.

I was heavily into the East Coast sound until the early-mid 00s, now I find a lot of it too samey. But see these days I listen to more UGK than, say, something produced by Primo, which is why I thought I'd go back and re-listen to 2pac... but nope, still not feeling it. I hear you on the whole car system thing, I think that probably did play a big part in the regional styles.

So Diggla are you a fan of Freddie Gibbs? He seems to me like a more evolved 2pac, flow wise.

Totally agree on the east coast thing. Premo doesn't do it for me like he used to. I'm more into Madlib nowadays; stuff with a different kind of bump. I really liked that project he did with Freddie Gibbs but I thought the lyrical content was a bit played out. But yeah, he's a good rapper.

Jay-Z is another one I don't get. He was dope in the mid nineties (Can I Get Open!) but then he went a bit too pop for my liking. Not into that breathless thing he does. It's as if he's whacking off over how good he is!

I like Biggie but didn't agree with The Source's decision to re-review Ready to Die and give it 5 mics. I thought they got it right the first time with 4.5. It wasn't hardcore enough for me and I'm pretty sure it wasn't hardcore enough for Biggie, who to me sounds more comfortable over Premo and Easy Mo Bee, etc. Apparently RTD was supposed to have a track with MOP and Jeru featuring but Puffy vetoed it because it wasn't the direction he wanted the album to go in. That's why I think it's a 4.5 and not a 5.

Whenever you see a 'best rapper' poll out of four rappers, you can bet your anus that it'll be out of Pac, Biggie, Eminem and Jay-Z. No Kane, no G Rap, no KRS, no Rakim. I don't get it.

• Like 1

^^^flol no shit! It's always those 4 rappers!

I don't think I've ever heard a Freddie Gibbs track but definitely gonna check him out now.

The funny thing about going back and listening to Pac now is I'm always like damn, he cusses a lot. Guess I'm old now. Kids make you more aware of it.

Primo always got a nod since he was from houston. And more than that, his beats were really EQ'd nice. Some great stuff... acts I love but that I just can't play in the car because it sounds do bad. Most Beasties, fair amount of Cypress, Wu, EPMD... it sounds best on tiny speakers which isn't the way to hear hip hop IMO.

I don't get all the fuss about 2Pac. I never have and I never will.

And it's not like he can't rap, but 99% of the beats on his records are just straight up garbage. I thought that back in the 90s and I still do.

this. California Love being the exception, but it's been super super played out

I never liked California Love that much. It was good but not really my style. Dear Mama too. Not really into it but one of the songs he's most known for.

I liked a lot of his lesser known songs best.

I'm with Broke on Pac. Oddly enough, the cut of his I was probably feeling the most was "Dear Momma", a type of track that isn't normally my cup of tea, but I dug the beat. I'm a beat centered dude, and good raps with bad beats just won't do it for me. I wasn't feeling Pac's raps either though, personally, but I can definitely see why a lot of people did. Just not my thing. I have sold maybe a handful of CDs/records in my entire life and 2 of them were 2 Pac CDs.

I never really got into Jay Z but he did have some bangers and I think his delivery is way doper than Pac. His content was where I lost him. Jay Z has actually grown on me over time.

Biggie, again, had some heat production and crazy-solid flow and delivery but again I just felt like it was all fancy cars and fucking other people's girls and same old same old, just 10 times better than everybody else doing that. I keep going back to Biggie but it's not changing much. Juicy is the fucking bomb though and that footage of him battling on the street corner is one of the dopest things ever.

Now, I liked Outkast from the get go. They were very dope. I started losing interest in somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd album. They got too weird. That first one is strong. Hootie Whoooo! The first Goodie Mob is one of my favorite albums. Don't sleep on that one.

^^what ever happened to the rumor they were putting out a triple disc? 2 solo albums and a group album. Wish that would happen.

There's a nice edit of Old School that uses lots of different old school and golden era beats.

Link?!

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Best Pac song = song that he barely appears on what be super full of 1989/1990 rapping type raps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ab0NxjuwO8

I'm simpatico with Joe's opinions on this. Jay Z always sounds like he really needs a drink, Jay, dude, listen to me, your voice sounds hella parched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I like 30 is the new 20. That's about it for Jay songs. There are a few that I like enough to have bought but I always push next when they come up in rotation.

I really like the album Freddie Gibbs did with Madlib.

He looks a little like Pac. I could see what you mean with his verses, Broke. His voice sounds more like Rakim tho to me. It's tight.