Dead Vestax 05pro IV mixer?

Hope this is the right section.

My ulterior motive for joining is I am reaching out to the scratch elders for knowledge....

(As well as the camaraderie of course)

A couple of weeks ago my Vestax 05 IV made an awful loud buzzzzzz then died.....

So I have bought myself a new power supply (Like a needle in a haystack finding that) hoping that was the problem but it's still dead.

I opened the mixer up but couldn't see an internal fuse to replace. That's about as far as my electronic know how goes....

Soooo, before shipping it off somewhere for repairs do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Pretty pretty please!

Guest Symatic

Are any of the capcitors looking fucked? Theyre normally blue cylinder shaped things. They have flat tops that can bulge out when theyre fucko'd

Guest rasteri

Could be a number of things. If I had to guess I'd say voltage regulator or rectifier diode, but unless you're handy with a multimeter and soldering iron you ain't gonna be fixing it. There's no fuse or anything.

Just take it to a repair shop.

• Like 2

Could be a number of things. If I had to guess I'd say voltage regulator or rectifier diode, but unless you're handy with a multimeter and soldering iron you ain't gonna be fixing it. There's no fuse or anything.

Just take it to a repair shop.

Thanks for the replies,

I have a multimeter but have never used it & wouldn't really know where to start.

I'm quite confident with the soldering iron though. I changed the phono lead & did the self ground mod on my Technics 1200 a fortnight ago & its still working well.

I have changed a couple of input plugs on a different Vestax mixer but I remember it being really fiddly....

I think I might have to leave this to a professional though.

Any recommendations?

• 4 months later...

Can't believe I originally posted this in July, gosh Im lazy...

I finally took it upon myself to open the mixer up & see whats the deal as I still haven't got it fixed

Now, to my untrained eye I can see that some thing has definitely popped..

Im trying to post a pic to try identify it but I keep getting a not aloud message. Can we use tinypic on here?

Excuse my noobness

Guest Symatic

yeah the reason to use hosting sites like imgur is that they are a big company that s more likely to still be there in 10 years when someone ends up searching the DV archives for how to fix their broken 05 :)

• Like 2

Its not uncommon for the capacitors in the power supply section to go bad and "pop". I don't mean the external "power supply"/cord that you're most likely refering to. I'm talking about the section of the PCB inside the mixer that handles the power supply for the mixer. If the capacitors in that section go bad then your mixer won't get the correct power. "Recapping" the power supply often fixes the issue. Here's an example of what a "bad" cap looks like but be warned, it's not usually this obvious. When my Rane 54 buzzed out on me the caps looked totally normal but replacing them fixed the issue.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes circuit boards have thermal paste/putty or other agents on them that look crazy but are totally normal. For example, check out this Donkey Kong 3 arcade PCB at the top left under "C". That putty looks totally out of place but it's supposed to be there.

If you've got caps that are obviously blown that's an easy place to start. With some luck you can replace the caps in the affected section and you'll be good to go.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

yeah that looks pretty suspect.... best find out what that component is... maybe theres a schematic somewhere?

also those capacitors look liek sometihng leaked or exploded out of them????

Guest rasteri

Yeah that's a diode that's blown wide open.

That one Jam posted should do fine, just make sure you solder it in the right way around.

Of course, there might be a fault somewhere else that caused it to blow, so be careful.

• Like 1

Just found this site the other day with Vestax manuals (with schematics!) while looking for info on my Vestax 08:

http://www.kevinchant.com/vestax.html

And here's the 05 IV:

http://www.kevinchant.com/uploads/7/1/0/8/7108231/vsm-pmc-05proiv.pdf

I've had blown fuses a bunch of times on my mixer, so searched just in case I get issues later on...

I was trying to find the schematic but with no luck. Thanks for that man,

I had another good look inside last night & everything else 'seems' to be fine.

Sy, I think that stuff under the capacitors is the thermal paste/glue that Jam mentioned.... I think. The caps all look good so Im not gonna mess with them just yet.

So gonna order myself a diode or two & get soldering!!

Oooh its exciting init!

Thanks for all the help so far youze guyz

• Like 1

Yeah that's a diode that's blown wide open.

That one Jam posted should do fine, just make sure you solder it in the right way around.

Of course, there might be a fault somewhere else that caused it to blow, so be careful.

Just to check, the one JB posted shows 600v 1A, is that correct?

Seen some on ebay for like 99p