AND THE WINNER IS.....

Cutting straight to the important bit, the winner of this year's DV/DJ-Tech Freestyle Scratch Battle is....

Fakser!

Big congratulations to Fakser and commiserations to IQ! Both of you guys utterly smashed it in this battle and some of the scratching you guys came with was honestly some of the best I have ever seen and heard from anyone. Also, I had a few conversations with both of you along the way and you're top geezers, so I hope we'll see you both in the 2014 battle. I'll be passing on your info to the relevant people so you should get your prizes early in the new year. Well done gents!

Once again, thanks to everyone involved in this battle. There have been a few stressful moments, but overall it's been fucking great and that's down to all of the people that helped me out. Thanks to Gizmo who helped me secure the DJ-Tech mixer as the prize. Even though things later went sour between us, thanks to Vekked for helping me with the format. Thanks to Chris for sorting out the flyer. Thanks to Rock Well for making some of the beats. Thanks to Loop for helping me secure some of the judges and for hooking us up with a prize via the IDA. Thanks to Alessio from DJ-Tech, Ritchie Ruftone, the SSS guys, AnyForty and Mike from the IDA for hooking us up with some prizes. Thanks to all of the judges, all of the contestants, all of the people that helped me promote the battle, and all of the people that watched and commented on the videos. Thanks to my mum and dad, to God, to...... OK, I'll stop now. :d

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the breakdown of the judges' votes. DJ Flip was a no-show in the judging, so I spoke to both contestants and they were happy for Waxfactor (petesasqwax) to step in as the replacement judge, rather than waiting to see if Flip would respond: -

Chile: -

I choose IQ.. Faksers file was really dope too, but that's some of the finest scratching I've heard from IQ to date.

Precision: -

Fakser!!!!!!!

Muzzell: -

My vote is for IQ.

Sparky T: -

Hi Steve,

this has been the toughest one to judge so far. Even though he's off beat a couple of times, I will still vote for Fakser after having watched the videos a lot of times (some just listening) cause his variety of techniques were slightly better than IQ's brilliant flow. It was like a 95 to 94 points, so close. Congrats to whoever the winner is.

I would like to wish everybody and their families merry Christmas and a happy and productive 2014 !

Woody: -

CRIKEY, NEARLY FORGOT ABOUT THIS WITH PREPS FOR CHRISTMAS ETC.

COOL, CHECKED BOTH VIDEOS A FEW TIMES, GOTTA GO FOR IQ AGAIN. FOR ME HE SEEMS TO HAVE A MORE CONTROLLED AND EXPRESSIVE FLOW OVERALL.

NICE ONE MAN. HAVE A GOOD CHRIMBO!

PEAS

WOODY

Shortkut: -

IQ - hand control, funk, variations, good use of the sounds

Fakser - Speed, hand control, precision (on the fast small sharp cuts)

final vote: IQ....although Fakser is neck to neck with IQ on skill. its just matter of apples n oranges. IQ had my head nod more.

Chris Karns: -

Fasker wins!

Ritchie Ruftone: -

FAKSER - is my winner - thanks steve

Mista Ed: -

Crikey...... Again..... Just stupid!!!!? So Fuckin hard. This compo has been crazy in terms of skills..... Imma plump for Iq again Steve. Almost impossible to call though....I feel Iq a bit more than Fakser, although Fakser kills it still..... Like I say, almost an impossible decision, I simply went on gut instinct after a few watches of each and then let my brain decide.

Mighty Atom: -

Fakser

Waxfactor: -

In general, IQ is one of my favourite DJs on the cut, bar none, but this time I just felt that Fakser edged it. He had me saying "oh shit!" slightly more than IQ, this round. Fucking astounding quality, as always!

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

MASSIVE props to both - the standard of cuts in the battle was absolutely mindblowing!

Huge shout to Steve for putting this together - an excellently run and organised battle which has genuinely given something major to the scene.

• Like 1

Congrats Fakser!

Like the judges, I found it so damn hard to choose - the standard was that high that by naming one the best, you're automatically denying one of the best scratch performances ever.

I kinda like how it worked out as IQ has just won the IDA and I'm pleased to see Fakser's skills getting their reward.

Definitely big ups to Steve for putting this on in the first place. It's been the scratch battle if the year for my money, with standards being insanely high at every point. Roll on next year's battle!

Thanks to Gizmo who helped me secure the DJ-Tech mixer as the prize. Even though things later went sour between us, thanks to Vekked for helping me with the format. Thanks to Chris for sorting out the flyer. Thanks to Rock Well for making some of the beats. Thanks to Loop for helping me secure some of the judges and for hooking us up with a prize via the IDA. Thanks to Alessio from DJ-Tech, Ritchie Ruftone, the SSS guys, AnyForty and Mike from the IDA for hooking us up with some prizes. Thanks to all of the judges, all of the contestants, all of the people that helped me promote the battle, and all of the people that watched and commented on the videos. Thanks to my mum and dad, to God, to...... OK, I'll stop now. :d

Yeah, nothing to add to this list except for Steve! This battle's been just great - well organised, transparent and with a good vibe between everyone! I really hope that you'll be able to host another battle next year and that some of the DJs that joined DV for this will drop by once in a while and post new videos or their thoughts because everybody in the Top 8 had the skills to win a large scratch battle.

(Also congratulations to Fakser!)

Guest Symatic

such sick scratching from everyone involved. well done fakser, reeedonkulous cuts all the way through. hope we get another battle in 2014!

well done everyone.

fakser was my favourite all the way through, IQ is obviously a maniac too though...

thought with the way the public vote was going that IQ was gonna grab it, but as rock well said above, nice that fakser gets a piece of the winners cake too...

top notch. inspiring, both of them

• Like 1

The score was tied at 5-5 with just Flip left to vote, but he didn't vote in the last round either and I hadn't had any contact from him for weeks. Pete was the standby judge and he'd already submitted his vote, voting for Fakser. I asked both contestants what they wanted to do - whether they wanted to wait for Flip and have me email him a couple more times, or whether they wanted to go with Pete's vote (obviously they didn't know who he'd voted for or that it was tied at 5-5) and they both chose to go with Pete's vote, which gave Fakser the win.

I know IQ is probably thinking "what would have happened if Flip had voted?", but I wouldn't feel bad man. The final round was so close and I know, having spoken to several of the judges, that they had a really hard time deciding between you!

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Props to one and all and congrats to Fakser, and unlucky IQ. It seems to me that if both dudes could have won everyone would have voted for that outcome.

I hope there's more of this next year. Would be good advertising for the DJ-Tech dudes to sponsor another one <hint hint>

Tech Vs Flow, always a tough thing to judge, both competitors certainly brought their games to this battle and the bar is now set for future battles.

Big props to Fakser for pipping IQ.

Bring on 2014's battle

Happy New Year Peoples!