ROUND 1 RESULTS & ROUND 2 INFO/BEAT

Steve

Here's the top 8. Congratulations to those that made it through to round 2!

The points scored by each DJ are shown in brackets. Remember, the scores were weighted so that all 30 competitors combined had the same voting power as 3 judges.

Round 1 winners: -

01 - CHINMACHINE (46.1)
02 - Fakser (44.7)
03 - DJ IQ (40.2)
04 - JesusKut (31.4)
05 - Mighty Atom (18.4)
06 - Backtrack (18.1)
07 - FlipFlop (14.4)
08 - waxdestroyer (13.4)

And for those who didn't make it through but want to see their scores, here's the rest: -

09 - Dopez (10.1)
10 - TieNo (5.2)
11 - P-Nuts (3.3)
12 - Besh One (1.1)
13 - JAM ONE (0.7)
14 - Deejay Stutter (0.5)
15 - KutClass (0.4)
16 - Maxi Skratch (0.3)
17 - ORATOR3 (0.1)
18 - DJ Bassmonkey (0)
18 - DJ Dielekt (0)
18 - DJ Ollie (0)
18 - DJ Rix (0)
18 - DJ Shim (0)
18 - djpenguin (0)
18 - ericuk (0)
18 - Heavy Hands (0)
18 - mfsop (0)
18 - Motek (0)
18 - Mr.Mischief (0)
18 - Noize D (0)
18 - Scratchon77 (0)

Round 2 info: -

Here is the beat that DJs must use for round 2: -

DV Battle Round 2.mp3

As mentioned in the rules thread, we are going to test DJs over beats of different tempos and styles as the battle progresses, so if you don't like this particular beat, well, tough! :p

The beat is 81 seconds long. That is the maximum length your actual video can be, so you can use some of that time for an intro graphic if you want to have one before you start scratching, but the maximum length you can cut for, from the first time you cut to when you stop cutting, is 60 seconds. You must cut over the beat at its stock speed, so don't pitch it up or down.

The rules for how videos must be shot and the submission process are exactly the same as in round 1, except obviously you would put "Round 2" in the video name.

Round 2 match-ups: -

The round 2 match-ups were decided by a thread I started on DJ Forums (LINK and SCREENSHOT). I asked someone to post 4 pairs of numbers without saying what it was for, so there could be no bias involved.

Here's the match-ups: -

Fakser Vs. Mighty Atom
FlipFlop Vs. DJ IQ
waxdestroyer Vs. CHINMACHINE
JesusKut Vs. Backtrack

Round 2 deadline: -

The deadline for submissions is Monday October 7th at 11 PM UK time.

If you have to drop out: -

If you're in the top 8 and you need to drop out for some reason, please let me know ASAP. By dropping out, you will forfeit any prizes. If a DJ drops out, the next highest scoring non-top 8 DJ will be invited to jump back in. Likewise, if a DJ doesn't submit a video before the deadline is up, they will be disqualified, they will forfeit their prizes, and I will invite the next highest scoring non-top 8 DJ to jump back in, plus I'll give them 1 week to record their video. Obviously, that would put the battle back by a week, so please do try and contact me before the deadline if you're not going to be submitting a video for any reason. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, congrats to the winners and commiserations to the folks that didn't make it through! To those that did make it through, good luck for round 2! :d

• Like 2

Well done guys, keep giving us ill cuts !

And good luck for round 2

I'll keep training till the next one ;)

Your video was wicked man! 15 of the 19 competitors who voted thought so too, as you made their top 8. Hopefully you'll come back next year and give it another go!

Here's some more stats, just for fun: -

If the top 8 was decided by the competitor votes only, this would have been the result: -

01 - Fakser

02 - CHINMACHINE

03 - DJ IQ

04 - JesusKut

05 - Mighty Atom

06 - Backtrack

07 - FlipFlop

08 - TieNo

There wasn't a single DJ that made all of the competitor's top 8 choices.

And this is what it would have looked like it it was decided by the judges' votes only: -

01 - CHINMACHINE

02 - Fakser

03 - DJ IQ

04 - JesusKut

05 - Backtrack

06 - Mighty Atom

07 - waxdestroyer

08 - FlipFlop

There were 5 DJs that appeared in every judge's top 8 - waxdestroyer, CHINMACHINE, Fakser, IQ and JesusKut.

A little reminder of the rules.....

1. For this round, you must use the beat provided in post 1 of this thread and you must scratch over it at its set speed, so don't pitch it up or down.

2. Your video should feature no more than 60 seconds of scratching, starting from the point you first start scratching to the point you stop, but your video can be up to the full length of the beat if you want to add an intro graphic or if you have some "dead air" at the beginning.

3. When you're actually scratching in the video, all of that must be shot from one angle and it must be done in one take.

4. Upload your video to YouTube, set it to "unlisted", and name it like this: -

DV/DJ-Tech Scratch Battle - DJ Vekked - Round 2

Place a link to DV or to the battle section on DV in the video description.

5. Either PM me a link to your video or email the link to this address: -

battle@digitalvertigo.co.uk

When you submit your video, I'll reply to let you know that everything is OK with it. Please don't post your videos up anywhere before they are all posted publicly on DV.

Once the deadline is met, I will start a thread on here with all of the videos in it, then you can set the privacy of your videos to "public" and post them wherever you like. The winners of round 2 are decided solely by the judging panel, so there's no competitor votes from this point on. As we've deliberately picked an odd number of judges, there will never be any ties.

EDIT - Oh yeah, the reason I didn't get FlipFlop's email in the last round was because he sent it to teamdv@digitalvertigo.co.uk. That email address receives so much daily spam that it's never checked, so please make sure that if you submit your entry via email, that you send it to battle@digitalvertigo.co.uk. Cheers!

Go, go, everyone!

I'm happy for three reasons:

a) to have watched so many cool videos,

b) that I don't need to cut over that beat (How the fuck are you supposed to do 2-clicks over this, Steve!?! What were you thinking?) and

c) that the community has decided that I'm as good as ericuk. :8

Untenable mathematical claims following:

By the way, as a nit-picking statistics guy I feel like your system is a bit biased because people might try to create the expected diversity when they get to place the single numbers (probably not true, but I guess that a thought-out dice roll experiment would have less identical numbers following each other than in reality). Doesn't really matter anyway with everybody being that good.

Edit: Wikipedia actually agrees with that crap. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

Edited by mfsop
  • Like 1

haha super pleased with that result ! lots of dope scratchers in there. Was a really good experience to stop practising and start doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight is the night!

I'm still waiting on videos from Chinmachine, FlipFlop and Mighty Atom.

As soon as all the videos are in, I'll post 4 threads, one for each 1 on 1. Public discussion will be allowed in all of those threads and there'll be a poll attached to each thread so you can vote for your favourites, although that's just for fun as the winners in this round are decided solely by the judging panel. Once those 4 threads are posted, the competitors can set their videos to "public" on YouTube.

Unfortunately, FlipFlop has pulled out. He's been snowed under with work and he forgot that the deadline was 11 PM UK time tonight. That means that Dopez will get the opportunity to jump back in as the competitor that placed 9th in round 1, so he will go up against IQ and he'll have 7 days to record his video. Dopez - I've PMed you about this, so get back to me ASAP please.

The other three 1 Vs. 1 match-ups will still be posted up tonight as planned. In fact, as soon as Mighty Atom sends me his vid, I'll post them.