ROUND 1 JUDGING THREAD (for competitors and judges only)

Note - This thread is for competitors and judges to select their top 8 DJs. Please do not post in this thread if you're not a competitor or judge. Thanks.

Here's how this will work: -

If you're a competitor or judge, post a list of your top 8 DJs ranked in order. Please only post 1 DJ per slot, so don't have 2 DJs in joint first or anything like that. Competitors may not vote for themselves for obvious reasons! :d If you want to leave a comment about your selection, post it underneath the list, so it would look like this: -

01 - DJ One

02 - DJ Two

03 - DJ Three

04 - DJ Four

05 - DJ Five

06 - DJ Six

07 - DJ Seven

08 - DJ Eight

*Any comments you want to make go here*

That way, it's easy for me to go through the thread and add up the scores.

The deadline for voting is Monday September 23rd at 11 PM UK time. That gives you plenty of time to watch the videos, including 2 whole weekends.

Once the deadline is met, this thread will be locked and I will add up the scores using the method posted in the rules thread. A new thread will be posted up with the top 8 in it and I will contact each of the top 8 DJs via PM/email to let them know they're through to round 2. I will then ask each of the top 8 DJs for some feedback on how long they need to record their round 2 video. The deadline for round 2 submissions will be based on that feedback, but I will make sure that all 8 DJs are happy with the deadline. Then I will start a new thread with the list of 1 Vs. 1 match-ups for round 2, and the beat that DJs have to use for round 2 will be linked in that thread.

Oh yeah, we have had entries from DJs who are not DV members. You don't have to sign up to DV if you don't want to, but it would be easier if you do. If you don't want to, please email me a list of your top 8 (battle@digitalvertigo.co.uk) and I will post it in this thread on your behalf. All votes will be public.

Any questions/issues, please PM me rather than posting them here. Thanks! Let the voting commence.....

Guest loop skywalker

I just want to add that the standard is immensly high and i really dont feel qualified to be able to judge these properly.I have requested that i be taken off the judging panel.

8th was very tight for me between Backtrack,Motek,maxi skratch and wax destroyer. Well done everyone :)

I LOVE YOU

I just want to add that the standard is immensly high and i really dont feel qualified to be able to judge these properly.I have requested that i be taken off the judging panel.

The Loop giveth, and the Loop taketh away :d

^Loop should probably take one more look since Flip-Flop entered, I think he's a clear contender for top 8.

Yeah, sorry about that. He uploaded his video on September 10th as you can see from the date on YouTube, and he sent me an email on that day too (evidence) but for some reason I didn't get it. So, I haven't extended the deadline and made an exception for him - he submitted his entry 2 days before the deadline, but it was just a communication fuck up and it would have been unfair not to add his video into the comp.

I just wanted to make that clear. Sorry for any confusion.

• Like 1

I forgot to say - I am not going to start adding up the scores until the deadline for voting is met on the 23rd. I realise that some people will find it bloody hard to pick a top 8 with the standard being so high, so if you post your top 8 in this thread then you watch the videos again and change your mind - that's OK. You can come back and edit your post if you want to. But once we get to 11 PM on the 23rd, the thread will be locked and that's it - the votes will stay as they are and I will total up the scores at that point and post the results after double-checking them.

As Loop has pulled out of being a judge, I have deleted his scores from this thread. Chile is taking his place.

Big thanks to Loop for helping me with this battle, because he secured us a nice prize and all of the final round judges, so this wouldn't have been as good without him!

Guest loop skywalker

Cheers Steve,always glad to help out and i still cant get over how good the peeps in this battle are.Way more advanced than i can ever imagine possible.

1.DJ IQ

2.Fakser

3.JesusKut

4.CHINMACHINE

5.waxdestroyer

6.Backtrack

7.FlipFlop

8.TieNo

IQ –

Great Improvised yet structured sounding flow and many of the patterns performed are difficult (for me) to break down into comprehensible technical components.

Fakser –

Great flow with technically demanding crab and 3 click walking baby combos balanced very nicely with slower melodic cuts.

Jesuskut –

Great technical control and flow over faster baby and chirp 2/3 click patterns and impressive faderless tear control.

Chinmachine –

Improvisational sounding flow over a range of demanding techniques. Performed some difficult faster transforms, expressive pitching and good faderless tear control.

Waxdestroyer –

Very consistent, controlled and well-structured melodic cuts. Some difficult combos are performed very clean like transform to crab patterns and distinctive chirp patterns.

Backtrack –

Very clean musical flow with melodic transforms into more record side demanding walking baby 2 click combos.

Flipflop –

Good flow over a range of technically demanding 2/3 click techniques and fast chirp patterns.

Tieno –

Great melodic flow with faster 2 click orbit styles and some nice simpler rhythmic cuts to keep a musical balance.

01 - Chinmachine

02 - Fakser

03 - IQ

04 - Backtrack

05 - Waxdestroyer

06 - JesusKut

07 - FlipFlop

08 - Dopez

For me the top 3 stood out pretty clearly. It was really tough to pick either of them over the others... they all had really good flow and incredible technique. I went back and forth between all 3 a couple times... I basically went in order of who's overall phrasing/flow/etc I felt most. I know all of them are beasts though and 1 minute of scratching is only a fraction of their overall skill. Chin's pitching and style was just really sick in this video... it was fast and tons of double-timing, but it wasn't mindless clicking, it had that speed funk and it just resonated with me a little bit more.

Next 4 I thought were again all really close, all super sick scratchers and could've gone in any order... so hard to compare someone like Waxdestroyer to JesusKut since they're using completely different sets of techniques and styles but are both doing really difficult stuff. Again I just kind of went roughly with who I thought flow/phrased better overall... I felt Backtrack/Wax were flowing really on point for nearly the entire video which gave them the edge... Jesus and FlipFlop had some crazy tech and flow as well, there were just a couple parts where the phrasing wasn't as seamless other other parts... again all of them are top notch scratchers, but we have to decide based off of a 1 minute glimpse of their skillset.

8th spot was incredibly hard to pick... probably 6-7 DJs I could've put 8th and not felt bad about. In the end it was between Dopez and Might Atom for me. Both had the word cuts as well as the solo cuts, both were clean. Both of them I thought their word cuts were slightly straight forward and could've been a bit more out of the box... good by all means just patterns I feel like I've heard before kinda. I edged it to Dopez because I just felt his solo cuts had a bit more style/funk and a couple more memorable parts, but this was probably the toughest decision I had separating 2 vids... I think Mighty Atom was a bit more refined, but Dopez was a bit more creative. I had to sleep on it a few days and come back to it just to see if I'd hear something that would make the decision easier.

So many guys just outside the top 8, most of it came down to consistency... Some guys killed it for 40-45 seconds, but had a slip up or repeated a couple patterns, and given how stiff the competition was that's pretty much what it came down to in deciding. Props to all the competitors!

• Like 1