DV Scratch Battle #11

Yoshi

Thanks boys and anyone who voted!

Funny you should say that Vekked, I started making this one for the juggle beat battle that never really happened.

I've actually got a few more parts to this beat which I chopped out for this version cos I couldn't make it all fit in two mins. Just found an electric guitar sample which is in key too.

I might still try and put together a juggle version - I was thinking of making a series of 4 bar loops with more different samples and breakdowns, etc?

I'm afraid I can't juggle myself, so it would be mostly guess work at my end. Any feedback you offer on what works would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, and if you ever fancy posting vid...

Haha, woord, I was juggling it on tiny chat early, def had some patterns.

For a juggling beat yea I think series of 4 bar loops is good, just make sure any switch up or section repeats at least twice. So like if your loop with the electric guitar is 2 bars, have it play at least 4 bars, or if your drum loop is 4 bars with a fill on the end, do each loop 8 bars... hopefully that makes sense. The only other thing I noticed is you could have more kicks for juggling, like having hard/distinct downbeats is better for juggling than having like just a bass note or really soft hat, or something. Whereas with a normal beat you're listening to or cutting over it might sound good to have like a beat that has nothing at all, but from a juggling perspective it's useless to have a beat that's silent because there's nothing to use there, and if you wanted to make it silent you could just cut it anyways.

Vekked - I get what your saying man, thanks a lot for the tips.

Mo - Nice vid mate, a definite switch up of styles from some of your previous vids... really liked it.

Eric - why not PDXs rather than Numarks? My PDX 2000 cost me £80 on ebay over 5 years ago and its still going strong.

Guest Symatic

i think the motors in the newer ones (after 2300 - with lower platters) are better and the brakes are different. I find it difficult doing motor-off tricks with old 2000's as the brakes want to hold onto the paltter till its stopped completely. maybe this has something to do with the way they go mental sometimes and spin forwards and backwards?

Great cuts Eric, just been watching this on youtube.

As for the haters you mention in your upload comment... ignore them, you're just ahead of your time. In 5 years time when you've turned your back on turntablism, dissed everyone on the internet and started making 3rd rate 80's synth-pop, they'll be begging to have you back. :)

That story sounds awfully familiar :-)

I slightly over exaggerated/made up my haters to playfully encourage some new faces to the board. I thought if a few new heads came over to the site it would be good for everyone....

As long as they don't start coming to SSS, trying to borrow my superseal and eating all the burgers - the swines!