Sub Crackling

Don't think anyone on here is into car audio but thought I'd still ask as a general question.

Seems like certain digital files or maybe it's certain bass frequencies make the subs crackle just a little. Normally I'd say my speakers are blown but it's not constant so I'm trying to figure it out.

My ideas are:

-it's a crappy mp3/mp4

-a sub is about to blow but hasn't fully yet

-connection issue

-my deck (it's a pioneer that acts a little glitchy sometimes)

-amp is overloaded (the amp is really nice tho so don't think so)

My subs generally sound good. They have a grate over the box so I can't examine without taking apart. I play music loud but never felt like I pushed them too hard.

Any ideas?

lolol

Most recently it was a music video i ripped from Youtube so my suspicion is it's the files themselves being encoded fucked up.

• Like 1

I switched the polarity and turned up the low end EQ. Seems fixed now. I had inverted it at one point because I felt like I wasn't getting the boom I wanted. That was probably a mistake and I'd bet the crackles was something to do with bass cancellation. Also I think some of my files are shitty rips. Whew. Car audio fiasco 2018 solved.

• Like 1

Nice nice. What kinda subs you running Dirk? The best I ever had were JL Audio W3's which provided plenty of solid boom, unlike my previous speakers. Was actually really content with them, but eventually sold the subs and box for financial reasons, plus they wouldn't fit in my old Tercel (they did in my old Subaru wagon). Now that I have a 4Runner, seriously thinking about buying those speakers again...already have some dope clean powered amps, just need the bass...no treble.