Sony announce the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro

Steve

The Slim appears to be just a straight slimmed down version of the regular PS4 for $300.

The Pro is a beefed up PS4 with a higher clocked version of the existing CPU and a new, more powerful GPU. It'll support 4K streaming and gaming. That'll be $400, which is a decent price IMO.

PS4 Pro: -

vbMlQ5S.jpg

The basic PS4 Pro specs have been posted on Twitter. 4.19 TF. 218 GB/s GDDR5. 2.1 GHz Jaguar CPU. 1TB hard drive.

Weak for 4K gaming performance, but hopefully devs will use the extra power to get better performance at 1080p. That would make the PS4 Pro comparable with a decent high end gaming PC. For $100 over the cost of the regular PS4, it's a no brainer to buy this version.

• 2 months later...

I've got a PS4 Pro now. Some quick thoughts: -

The good - I like the OS. It's not as fully featured and "alive" as the Xbox One OS, but it feels more polished. The PS3 OS was shite compared to the 360's, but here, the main features that gamers would want are all present and working.

The bad - It's a noisy beast! Well, compared to my Xbox One and PC it is, anyway. I also don't like how the fan ramps up and down quite often. There's also no 4K Blu-Ray player, which is a mistake IMO.

The meh - With a gaming PC, you have control over where the power is used. For instance, if you have a 1080p monitor you can crank the settings up to Ultra, while if you have a 4K monitor you might have to dial the settings back a fair bit to maintain a decent framerate. This console has been designed for people with 4K TVs, even though it doesn't actually render any games natively at 4K (it uses checkerboard upscaling), but you will definitely see a decent difference if you play a game on this on a 4K TV compared to using an Xbox One S. At 1080p, however, the difference between the Pro and regular PS4 really isn't that noticeable, despite the Pro being 3 times as powerful. With it being a console, you no longer have that choice of how the power is used.

So yeah, if you have a 4K TV and want a Playstation, this is the one to get. If you have a 1080p TV and you already have a PS4, I don't think there's a compelling reason to upgrade unless you have PSVR and want to get the best out of that.

• Like 1

I think the incentive to get a gaming pc is massively reduced with the new consoles. I have a 12 core Xeon with 64gb ram, ssd and a titan x (last generation), a 5k monitor and also steam link for my living room 1080p tv. It plays pretty much everything I've tried at 1440p 60fps on ultra, and some stuff, like doom in Vulcan mode, on ultra 4K 60fps. The thing is, I still use the PS4 most of the time after the initial excitement because it's just easier, and with the new one capable of 1080p 60fps at somewhere between high and ultra pc settings I wouldn't even have that nagging in the back of my head i could be getting it smoother/prettier if I did it on pc. I didn't buy the computer for gaming, but even if I put one together for the cheapest I could to comfortsbly trounce the new consoles it'd be quite a lot more expensive for what is realistically a pretty small enhancement...

If you have a 1080p TV and you already have a PS4, I don't think there's a compelling reason to upgrade unless you have PSVR and want to get the best out of that.

This is good to know as I have to buy a PS 4 at Xmas for one of my kids and I was also contemplating the possibility of having to get a 4k TV to replace the 1080p he already has so thanks for the info on this mate... :((

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Would it be a bad move to buy an old PS4 from craigslist? There's shit loads of them at the minute and they're pretty cheap.

I don't think so.

There are a handful of games that have single player modes that take advantage of the Pro's extra grunt, but that only really affects the framerate, unless you're using a 4K screen. If you're using a 4K screen, some games render at a higher resolution than 1080p (not 4K though) and are then upscaled to 4K, giving a sharper image.

Sweet. Thinking about it coz a lot of my mates go PS4s at the minute and I'm pretty excited about the modern warefare remaster. Pus I wouldn't mind seeing what all the Last of Us Fuss is all about. Not gonna do my productivitiy and good though mind :o