BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Goblin

DJ Rock Well

Errrm..its the 11th today in case no ones noticed.. so wheres everyones tracks then ??...

One entry ?? AND no progress reports ??

This is a bloody outrage if you ask me and im defecting to the Future Producers forum if nobody else posts anything

PAH! entries schmentries ....those are terrible excuses Rock :d

i really wish id gone and recorded something now.. :|

#beatbattlesadnesschallenge

NB-

ive also deliberatley not ticked the like box in your last post just to shame you further

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

My month has been like a Bernard Matthews turkey - Fucked -_-

I don't think an end of week extension will help me Rocky, I haven't unzipped the samples yet :(( :o

Guest petesasqwax

OK - I'm fucking DONKEY KONGing this shit right heeeeeya! I got a whole world of shit going off in my headphones right about now and I'll definitely have something for your delectation in the next day or 2, fo' sho!

• Like 2

Rock - thats really nice mate i like what you've done there

with the midnight in a perfect world type of vibe going on..

very cool

Pete- your style of doing things is always unique and this tune is a great example of that

I dont know why but for some reason i always imagine that youre wearing a lab coat while your recording when i listen to your tracks..dope stuff yet again dude

Top work lads!

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I did a quick video going through what I chose to use and what I did to it etc. but managed to have the audio set wrong so it was totally silent! FFS - will redo it as soon as I get a chance to

Really enjoyed that, Matt - did exactly what it needed, IMO. Lovely head nodding tactics

Dan - you're not a million miles off, mate - I've always got a load of audio test tubes bubbling away and it's probably testament to always working on headphones that I liked to put a shitload of textures in there to pack out the sound whilst keeping it pretty sparse at the same time.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas!

Dan - I wouldn't say I quite reached 'Midnight...' levels, but this beat did start (and almost stop) with a single piano loop and a chopped drum break I felt fitted the sample. For a minute I did wonder how on earth I could make a whole beat with just a piano sample and a drum sample, but then I remembered someone much better than me arguably made their greatest beat from just those elements. I even looked for an appropriate vocal sample, but failed in the time to find something that worked.

The limited source material actually forced me into corner and I had to come up with ways of making it more than just a loop... The only samples I used on this beat were 2 bars of a Lou Donaldson drum break, a short shaker sample from the source LP and the 4 bar piano loop as it plays in the intro 4 bars of the beat - I just kept in chopping, re-pitching and filtering it to give it some variation/progression and make the bass line, etc.

Pete - thanks, if in doubt retreat to what you know! After all these years, I still can't play two notes on any instrument but I'm semi confident at making a drum to fit a sample.

Likewise, I think you've nailed this one. Sounds heavy! Please do make tutorial video if possible, I'd love to learn more about your processing techniques... Actually, you were the main inspiration for not thinking it's just a loop going nowhere and giving up - I'm nowhere near your level, but I've learnt a few new things about filtering and processing on this one.