Combo Generator

Sideshow

Sorry got this up and running a couple weekends ago. I do req writing for work, but i thought a vid could do the job. Will post a vid asap.when u see how it works its quite clever, its all about tagging the cut samples well.

Nice vid man, although it works better when you select the expert ini file, as you had it in "beginner" mode there and the combos it creates with my sample set (which wasn't great to begin with really!) are a bit disjointed at times. In the expert mode, it sounds a lot more like a real DJ rather than a computer program.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

here you go .. i present the combo gen ! ta da !

I stumbled on this again recently, it might fit nicely with some of the things I'm adding to the tablist.net web looper (http://www.tablist.net/weblooper). Thanks for the video I wasn't able to get it up and running, but I have the files which should be helpful.

honna.

wicked. proper gutting that this stopped working after xp. Would be amazing to have a fresh version of this, backed up with a fuckin huge library of beats.

• 8 months later...

This thread is a stark reminder of where I didn't get to using Python. Does anyone have the original sample packs? I seem to have lost them when moving PCs. I have been pissing around with C# for fun, so who knows - 2016 could be the year of the Combo Generator (Universal Windows Platform App version).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Paging Dub-Se7en or Steve - any chance of digging out the sample sets for this. I'm feeling moderately confident I could resurrect this as a Windows 10 app now. This could be the app that rejuvenates the Windows App Store / sells the Windows Phone.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Anyone still working on this, I think this would be good for my practice, when I get a chance to that is. I think I could contribute my skills, I work as a software dev so I may be of use for something around here.

• Like 1

I never got amazingly far with it, though I'm an inexperienced hobbyist programmer. I struggled a bit with getting the samples playing in a nice smooth order, whilst pissing around with the UWP style app and Audiograph API (using C#). I then decided that obviously the answer to my problems would be to go back to basics with WinForms and .Net, using Visual Basic. During my attempt to learn another set of tools I stumbled on the idea of simply merging the .wav files on demand, rather than trying to play them nicely one after the other. I then starting mocking up the interface but then another baby came along and I lost more of my free time. Stupid kids. I reckon my Gannt chart should probably say expected launch 2025.

I'ts still on my radar. Im pretty sure I have all the pieces I just need to put it all together. Im planning on having it in the Web Looper and or the Tablist.net Looper App Maybe both so it would be platform independent.

Yeah I went through a phase of thinking surely HTML5 would be the way forward. You can now see why I never get any project completed, too easily distracted. I do now know about 2 % of a range of languages.

I might dig out the Visual Studio file and get something at least preliminary working, then FreshPete can fix it.

I still haven't got copies of the original scratch files, though that doesn't really stop the programming.

I wish I had gotten my hands on the original so I could piece together specifics to answer some questions I have about it.

1. Do all of the scratch patterns in each sample pack use the same sample?
  2. Was it tempo dependent?. i.e. All samples recorded at x tempo, but tempo is adjustable in program?
  3. Were scratch patterns able to be quantized to lower than a whole note?
  4. Was there an option to play a looper in the background?
  5. Was there an option to loop the scratch sample?
  6. Was it possible to record your scratch input?
  7. Should any form of notation be included as well?

i guess these aren't vital questions if building from the ground up but would be good to get an idea of everything it did/didn't do. Would also help to gauge the feasibility for me to design and build this thing.

I created a repo at: https://github.com/djlotus/combo-gen. Nothing is there content wise. Just threw together a little ReadMe and a couple crude flow charts for now. Plan is to use NPM and Gulp to manage the build so the parts can be built separately and compiled in the build process. An easier workflow for me personally.

Edited by djlotus

• 1 month later...
Guest rasteri

You can run the combo generator on Windows 7/8/10 or Mac OS X using Virtualbox, get it from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Here's a virtualbox image with Windows XP and the combo generator preinstalled : https://www.mediafire.com/?8r753pavcal6t6x

In virtualbox, go to File... import appliance and select the image you downloaded, then keep mashing import until it appears in virtualbox manager. Then select it and click start.

Well I suppose I don't need to rush making it again now. I'm gonna push it out to 2030. I do want to re-make it, for my own learning benefit. Plus you know Windows 10 apps are going to take off big one day. I would be intrigued to see how the audio was implemented, as from my pissing around it seems much harder than I expected just to run two stereo channels seamlessly together however you want. Spoilt by Ableton probably.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Well I suppose I don't need to rush making it again now. I'm gonna push it out to 2030. I do want to re-make it, for my own learning benefit. Plus you know Windows 10 apps are going to take off big one day. I would be intrigued to see how the audio was implemented, as from my pissing around it seems much harder than I expected just to run two stereo channels seamlessly together however you want. Spoilt by Ableton probably.

Yeah high-level audio APIs really don't work well for musical sync, they're more for triggering sound FX in games and stuff like that. You want functions that'll give you access to an actual audio buffer that you can place arbitrary sample values in.

If I was looking to build this app I'd be investigating cross-platform dev libraries like libgdx or playn that can automatically generate Android/IOS/HTML5 apps from a single codebase.

I did contemplate the distraction of doing it in Xamarin Forms / C# in Visual Studio then magically deploying to all platforms. God knows what would happen to audio things though.