Clive Sinclair making a handheld ZX Spectrum

Steve

MMMMmm nostalgia. I looked at getting one of these other Spectrum reboots for my brothers this Christmas, but they all seemed to have their problems. More affordable than the ltd Technics though. I'm tempted to get one of each colour for me and my two bros for next Christmas.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I did think about buying one, but then thought i can just not spend a hunner bucks and play the spectremulator for free.

I must say that the spectrum was one of my all time favourite things ever and that no generation of gaming has ever felt as sweet or indeed dynamic as that period of gaming, though i do constantly wear a kind of purpley-pink lensed glasses

Guest rasteri

It's kinda cool, but you get better/cheaper controller holsters for your phone that let you play spectrum games as well as C64/Amstrad/Sega/Nintendo games.

Or if you don't need it to be portable, get an original speccy (like £30 on ebay) and a SD card floppy emulator (£60) so you don't have to fuck about with tapes - http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=114

Haterz - I will fuck you all up with a Kempston joystick blud.

Everytime I've gone nostalgic it wears off after an hour or so. Even more recent stuff like the Megadrive didn't hold my interest too much.

Remember though, these are LIMITED EDITION.

• 9 months later...

Looks like my shitty nostalgia trip might not get delivered by Christmas (estimated delivery was September). Apparently they are making sure the buttons are super great. Don't think they are going to "Qbert" me, but THEY HAVE RUINED CHRISTMAS (maybe).

• 3 weeks later...

Well they announced today they will ship them in Feb. I had come to terms with my Christmas presents not arriving. I have wrapped up a poorly printed image of the thing as the holding "gift" for my brothers.

I hadn't really followed the Indiegogo page that much, but going on there now - what a bunch of whinging bastards the general public is (or a very vocal minority 1 %, like the best of Twitter). Fair enough it originally said delivery Sep 2016, but people on there make out like their lives have been ruined, that the company has stolen the money, demanding refunds blah blah. "£100 of my hard earnt money means a lot to me....moan moan". If £100 is so much money to you, don't pledge it for something that might never come you mega chumps. People demanding almost daily updates on what is probably a reasonably complex project involving multiple suppliers. How anyone can deal with the general public day to day is beyond me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Seems like the previous Vega caused some serious legal and sales issues. They have finally updated the Indiegogo page with details about the delay late last night. I couldn't really give a shit about the delay, though obviously I'd rather have it in my hands. It's funny reading the mad frothing comments from a very very vocal minority on the page, who have been moaning for six months. Not good for your mental health. It reminds me how much I hate people and the internet most of the time.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It seems Indiegogo have called in a debt collection agency to try and recoup the backers' funds.

RCL claimed to have working models ready to ship, but said that Sky were holding them up due to intellectual property rights issues. While it's true that Sky do own some of Sinclair's intellectual property, Indiegogo asked RCL to A) send them a working unit of the Vega+, B) provide them with a contact at Sky who could confirm that there were intellectual property issues blocking the product from being shipped, and C) give a refund to any backer that wanted one. RCL did not do any of those things.

Also, Sky have said that they signed a contract with RCL on condition that they were sent a working model of the Vega+ in order to examine it, but they also never received one.

It's clear that there is no final product worthy of being shipped. If it was a scale issue, they'd have been able to provide units to Indiegogo and Sky.

This is a video of the supposed finished unit, which they published 2 weeks ago: -

Tell me that doesn't look shady as fuck! All the cuts and weird graphical overlays, with no proper demo of it fully working.

Indiegogo have been pretty shit but then if RCL have pissed the money away no amount of debt collection will make a difference. It's fair to say this project is a typical risk of crowdfunding, but they did have some track record of delivering something similar and basically said they were ready for production at the outset. Useless fucks.