Teenage Engineering PO-33 Sampler

Dan

Guest Symatic

i just got mine. gonna plug it into the RME when I get home :)

i like that it's a self contained thing, and uses standard jacks etc. iphone is more powerful but you need a iphone to start with, and also an audio interface, so as a standalone thing its pretty dope.

only turned it on briefly at work, will mess around with it properly over next couple of days

• Like 2

i like that it's a self contained thing, and uses standard jacks etc. iphone is more powerful but you need a iphone to start with, and also an audio interface, so as a standalone thing its pretty dope.

only turned it on briefly at work, will mess around with it properly over next couple of days

You can use an iPhone with splitter cable (mic/st out) for 2€ at chinesemart...

also iPhone 4s is under 100€ second hand... but I like the pocket op too ;)

Guest Symatic

You can use an iPhone with splitter cable (mic/st out) for 2€ at chinesemart...

also iPhone 4s is under 100€ second hand... but I like the pocket op too ;)

doesn't it sound a bit shit through the splitter cable though? I seem to remember something about the audio port having limited frequencies???

I rock an iPhone too, and yeah you can get em for free (i survive of friends and relatives' last-years-models when they get free upgrades) or get 2nd had ones etc.... but theres plenty of reasons someone wouldn't have access to one or simply didn't want one. for a little toy thingy to mess around with this looks dope, and for the low-fi heads it seems perfect. this plus my monotron and 4 track will be filthy! seems ironic after complaining about the iphone cable being wack haha

• Like 1

Could be and obviously get a decent audio interface (not like these shitty RMEs :V ) usually is a must but cheap to cheap, iPhone could do the trick. That was more or less the point. Said that I still find this operator more sexy than their bros even being limited.

Sometimes less is better when it does right the job. It’s something I heard due I’m massive :smirk:

It's definitely pretty cool but it's probably too small for someone like me and it looks a bit fiddly also.

Looking forward to hearing what Sy gets up to with it though.

Pocket Operations In Dub no doubt !

• Like 1

I've feel like I've had a good spread of sampling options now - MPCs 500, 1000, 2000, 2kXL, SP-303, ST-224, Logic, Reason, Maschine, iMaschine, Beatmaker, RC-20XL, Digitech Solo XT, etc. Plus I've been around or had a quick go on many many more.

I can't get on with the idea of simplifying it into certain options being 'best'. Really they're all better thought of as different options - some are more capable, some are easier to use, some cheaper/better value, some have a particularly sound, others can make any sound within reason and skill set of the user and so on.

It all just comes down to what suits you. Your preferences, needs, budget and all that. But also what engages you to use it and keep coming back. Sometimes 'simple' is like a weight off the shoulders, other times to other people it might just be frustratingly limiting. Some sampling options come with tiny limitations that shouldn't bother anyone, but in reality one person will work right through them while another (me quite often) will find after a few months that they just aren't using said sampler for a pretty lame reason. But if it's your reality, sometimes you just have to accept it.

I think part of the problem is that we're making music on machines and machines are sold on features and manufacturers always claiming 'better'. Perhaps if we were still dealing with limitations like 1.5 seconds of sample time vs. 2.5 seconds this would hold true, in the realms of what's on offer now, old and new, limitations are just as likely to breed creativity. As they're tools to make music, I think we'd be better off thinking of samplers as we would traditional instruments... for instance, something like a late 50's Les Paul is the holy grail for many, but my old man plays folk and blues so to him its of absolutely no use or interest. He's much better off with his old late 30s acoustic Kalamazoo... except when he plays gigs in a pub with larger folk ensemble, then his £200 Chinese made 'Grateful Dead Special' is more suitable.

• Like 3