• watzz
    • Motek
    • CirKutCision
    • Symatic
    • ruftone
    • ericuk
    • d00ban
    • Dubba Dutchdj

I did write a post explaining why I voted for broke and who my top 3 were, but I had to delete it when I hid this topic and I can't be arsed to write it all out again. :d

Get voting!

Guest broke

Can I vote for myself? :p

LOL

Great turnout for this one, especially considering only one person entered the last scratch battle...

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Fucking hell, a million people entered this (my count might be a bit off, i'm not that good with numbers). That's so cool to see such interest. It almost makes it seem like scratching's popular!

Top work all round everyone. Some really great stuff up there. It's a tough one, i'm gonna have to think about this one before voting.

goin for eric cos of the effort of his documentary style video and for having some very dope moves indeed on zee record

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

wicked battle! I put eric, broke and circut at the top three.

circut is still getting better on a weekly basis and is obviously on scratch steroids, but this time I reckon there could have been more pitch variation.

nit picking though cos this was such a close battle. (i'm also bad at sticking to the same pitch so maybe i just noticed it more)

Broke had a killer flow, really liked it. i would have knocked the delay down a bit though cos it kinda distracts from the cuts a bit. the only criticism i can think of is that there were no 'power moves' to clinch it

Eric gets my vote cos it was a nice freestyle flow, with some dope power moves but they didnt seem to forced or show-offy if that makes sense.

GET A FEKKIN LINE IN SUCKAHHH

wattz and mad pressure were also dope.

everyone was dope.

dope.

kid's, don't do dope.

• Like 1

Still can't decide really but I did vote for broke - probably because I could listen to his video on repeat for quite a while: Just an overall good vibe with very clean cuts and transitions between them.

I also liked the general diversity of these videos: it's like everyone is working on some style of their own and it's cool to listen to all videos.

Guest broke

the only criticism i can think of is that there were no 'power moves' to clinch it

LOOK CLOSER LENNY

wicked battle! I put eric, broke and circut at the top three.

circut is still getting better on a weekly basis and is obviously on scratch steroids, but this time I reckon there could have been more pitch variation.

nit picking though cos this was such a close battle. (i'm also bad at sticking to the same pitch so maybe i just noticed it more)

Eric gets my vote cos it was a nice freestyle flow, with some dope power moves but they didnt seem to forced or show-offy if that makes sense.

GET A FEKKIN LINE IN SUCKAHHH

Given I'll never live it down if I vote for myself (again), for me it's also between CirKut and Eric. Watch as I get all Vekked on them:

CirKut (that is his actual DJ name right? It's not actually CirKutCision is it?) is quite new school tech and has this bit that starts around 1:12 that is super dope. Like really sick. But overall what's missing for me is a sort of 'lyrical' aspect to the cuts. Maybe that's the pitch variation you were talking about. But yeah, like you said Sy, I'm just nit-picking really.

Eric's no-frills quick one take style has its pros and cons. The start is very Sir Digby Chicken Caesar and that's pretty much enough to get a vote right there. I imagine he's probably fired up the looper, made a cup of tea, maybe done something unspeakable in another room, hopefully washed his hands, then recorded a quick couple of minutes with the last ten percent left on his phone.

More nitpicking here: dude has great chirps and tear combos but the way it was recorded... I dunno, I vowed I'd never vote for a file that wasn't recorded from the mixer. I mean, there's no doubt that Eric is stupidly nice on the cut but sometimes its almost like he might as well have been using a metronome (or any other beat) i.e. the beat is just there for tempo. Maybe it sounded different in the room, but to me it sort of defeats the purpose of having a battle themed around a specific producer when you can't hear everything properly. But yeah, stupid fresh cuts...

Tough decision

What I dislike about most people's styles is that they're all too new school focussed.

For example, I wanna hear someone occasionally break out into the sort of stab/forward combos D-Styles does starting at 7:28 in this: -

Most of the time I hear D-Styles cut, he mixes old and new styles together - probably because he's been scratching for like 30 years - but some of you guys have been cutting for a looooong time too and you're too focussed on trying to do shit that's technically impressive, but not that cool to listen to IMO, that is, unless you're a total nerd that's focussed on technique instead of sound.

Obviously, all of you guys would totally smash me in a scratch battle, but I just think some of you are missing some old school funk from your styles!

• Like 3

Guest broke

But Steve, those stabs are insane. I for one would include more of that stuff if I could do it. Crazy to think he cuts that well with Serato as well. I still don't like scratching with Serato.

I like Eric's style for the same reason you're talking about: there are older elements mixed in with new ones, but nothing sounds out of place.

I think the fact that people focus on technical things is why they can't do "simple" cuts like that. We both know those cuts aren't simple, but they are a refinement of a very simple technique that people aren't practicing because they're focusing on the "7 click flango bango" scratch or whatever. There is loads you can do with basic cuts, but people want to do the boomerangs, delayed flares and all that stuff, and that's perhaps to the detriment of their other cuts and overall style, cos it ends up with a bunch of people sounding very alike IMO.

When have you seen a DV battle file where someone has broken out with some stab/forward combos like that? Never! But why?

• Like 1

Guest broke

I think it takes a long time to build up that kind of speed and consistency. It's not like something complicated that has to be deciphered, it's just pure muscle memory and training. There's a local guy I cut with from time to time with ridiculous stabs like that, I'll try to record him next time.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I'd contend that the boomerang is very much an old skool cut at its core. It's basically just babies and a fw and a bw.

I try and treat boomers like chirps cos you're just changing up/leaving out some click.

Anyway, i'm all about old skool cuts. I always practice stabs, cos i want them to get all dope like in the clip. I can do 1/8 note stabs seemingly indefinitely, and pitch them about. I love them. I slept on them for a bit back in the day, but Edkut who goes to SSS always used to rock them cos he was super into Mix Master Mike, so it made me appreciate them more (in about 2000).

And chirps? I've spent an unhealthy amount of time doing them, cos i always wanted to sound like the dj's who were around when i got into hip hop, which was more often than not Joe Cooley's, chirps, stabs and transforming. So i just did that for ages.

One thing i would say is that my transforming isn't what it used to be, due in large part cos of flares.

Yeah I do need to fix up the 'direct in' element of my videos. I should step up my game. I've got a HD cam (which still doesn't have D.I) but I just end up using my iphone because it's easier. I jusge other videos based on the sound. #hypocrite

I could probably record the video and audio separately and sync it up? is that what you mans do?