Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

Yeah I agree with Pete, offering a board for people to mod there own gear is blatantly gonna give you a bigger work load in terms of customers contacting you for tech assistance, no matter how crack monkey proof the instructions are. But I also recon theres a market there for offering a modding service for people to send in there mini decks for tech pimp-ery.

Andy - Dude big respect for your work so far! With the board you've made, as you said all the audio now comes through the internal speaker, does that then mean the existing 3mm headphone out will now output both scratching and aux input as well?

Also with the mini fader box your suggesting, I think with the existing relatively cheap option of raiden, I wouldn't of thought you'd be able to charge more than £100. So would it be commercially viable to make a mini fader box that has-

the same (or better) audio I/O+thru options as Raiden

its own battery

include (dem cheaper reloop) mini inno's

In other portable fader news I did the pledge for the bluetooth xfader on kickstarter that the 9 o'clock lads are promoting. Plug your USB turntable in to your smartphone and pair the bluetooth fader with phone = portable dvs setup. If it works as well as the 9o'clock mixfader promos suggest then there's an argument to say commercial opportunities in the portable fader market will change. Its a big if, but IF this bluetooth fader, smartphone dj software and DVS all work in harmony with my handytrax usb then I'd have to say Id personally be pretty satisfied and would most likely be out of the market for modding my handytrax or adding a mini fader box.

I could be way off the mark but thought it be worth bringing up the mixfader bluetooth thing as I believe they could make a considerable impact to the portable scratching "movement" which could in turn split the market up a bit.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Andy - Dude big respect for your work so far! With the board you've made, as you said all the audio now comes through the internal speaker, does that then mean the existing 3mm headphone out will now output both scratching and aux input as well?

Indeed it does.

Also with the mini fader box your suggesting, I think with the existing relatively cheap option of raiden, I wouldn't of thought you'd be able to charge more than £100. So would it be commercially viable to make a mini fader box that has-

the same (or better) audio I/O+thru options as Raiden

its own battery

include (dem cheaper reloop) mini inno's

Yeah, I suspect so. But I just don't know if I have time to turn this into a polished product - the actual circuit design is maybe 15% of the actual product, the rest is marketing/enclosure design/distribution etc.

The last thing I wanted was for this to just turn into a "look how clever Andy is" thread, but it looks increasingly likely that this has become the case :( I'm starting to feel like I've reached an endpoint where I make it work for me, but that helps precisely nobody else :(

Guest petesasqwax

I don't think this was ever a "look how clever Andy is" thread, mate - it's much more of an "Andy just made an already interesting concept - essentially the DIY QFO - even better & took it to a place not many of us imagined it could go (i.e. a proper fader, rather than "just" the Raiden/Frisk)"

• Like 1

WOWZERS!

Didn't have time to try out the circuit yet but will do soon hopefully...
I'm def interested in a PCB but I wonder if I could realize the "reed-version" with it too...? (leave out schmitty + diff caps ?)
I'll def grab a few PCBs nevertheless ... Might keep the PRO-X inside the PT01... want external boxes with reed too though - they feel so nice without wipers...

For the masses I could imagine that a kit would be nice but still - not many DJ's I know could set em up on their own.
I think, in case you wanna go there, you should offer different" stages" of a faderbox
-PCB

-KIT (PCB+COMPONENTS)

-KIT+CASE (people could use their own fader)
-COMPLETE BOX

Lot's of synth guys keep it that way ... but tbh most people might want a complete box. I'd say focus on the case now - I always wanted sth shaped like a novation dicer but i got no time to learn a construction program and relying on other people sucked ass so far....

I looked a bit into "what-does-it-need-to-put-the-waxcutter-on-the-market-?" and it is frustrating as fuck. That shit can't be done by one man alone I felt like. I basicly stopped at the same point - had it good enough for me but making an individual enclosure and a PCB kinda stopped the whole thing. It's hard to explain why it needs another faderbox but seriously - those ALPS are pure crap.
They're selling Frisk's for 95€ over here .. so depressing having something better on hands and no clue what to do with it- feelin ya...

Something I'll def need in such a box is a CUE-function though... I played a little show with 2xMK2 and a PT01 running into the aux in but the lack of cueing was pretty limiting....

Pretty excited to jump back in soon ...

rasteri, let me know when you're making new PCBs. Cheers! :)

Edited by wax inspektor

^ considering the costs i think so too

those are even cheaper but the rails ain't oiled when it comes out of the box - a few drops of deoxit gave em a super feel too though...
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/675452/Schiebe-Potentiometer-10-k-Mono-025-W-linear-TT-Electronics-AB-4111403545-1-St/SHOP_AREA_17440
they have the better slider also cause it's sitting on 4 points not 3 like the "ebay-fader"...
think there is a dual/stereo version too - wasn't necassary for my reed-thingy though...
*edit - stereo version: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/675460/Schiebe-Potentiometer-10-k-Stereo-025-W-linear-TT-Electronics-AB-4111503545-1-St/?ref=detview1&rt=detview1&rb=1

like i mentioned before both faders are pretty stiff/hard but when taking off the wipers you'll get that mini-inno feeling; for 6-8€ only... i can blow my fader from side to the other real easily!

One thing I wanted to share as well is the fact that whenever you open the raiden fader meaning the turntable channel - the line in channel will loose some volume... (~2dB) such a joke! hope you understand what i mean... so in reverse when you close the raiden fader your line in get's louder...
(a homie gave me a raiden beta so i can't tell if they fixed that issue until the final version.... i doubt that though...)

i had the same issue on my waxcutter too but i fixed it by putting some trim-potis before the resistors... actually don't understand why but it worked out fine... :)

Edited by wax inspektor

Guest rasteri

(a homie gave me a raiden beta so i can't tell if they fixed that issue until the final version.... i doubt that though...)

Um..... really??? Fucking hell.

This suggests that the raidens don't have any summing resistors. If this is true they could actually damage the equipment that they're plugged into.

Technical explaination here : http://www.rane.com/note109.html. I love Rane's technical notes, they basically all amount to "other manufacturers need to stop being twats, here's why"

Anyone fancy taking apart a raiden and taking a picture of how they're internally wired?

Well Andie, I got the sense that at this point you wanted to go at it alone, so I backed off a bit, I know I can get a bit intense sometimes so all coo...

Either way here are more of my 2 cents...I wasn't sure how to attach images or upload so I'll link a few pictures too..Links after the jump...

If you're not familiar with the the Radio Labs modules they are something to look into. New they get up their in price

but I usually pick them up on Ebay for about 12$...

The one I use now is a Radio Labs ST-VCA2 it is Mono, it gets the job done

for experimenting...They do make a Stereo one...

That's the direction I was talking when I talked about making the Arduino for Fader and Scratch...

This way any device with Audio Source can have end Fader Plugged into..Like those Guitar Pedals

I mentioned...

That Corporation sells VCA ICs which cuts down on parts components and simplifies the design, they

were made for Studio Mixers and Fadersss...:-) Their is in the $5 range, so you have to weight the

pros and cons...

........................................................................................................................................................................

As for faders, Because my own projects involve Retro-Fitting existing Faders...I have some in bulk that I can hook you up with at a Super Scratch Ninja price...

The Innofader PNP uses the Forward Electronics Mechanism with the Large Stem...

I have them with the small stem, same Body style...

If you are familiar with Bourns Components and have acces to them, they resell these faders as their own too...

The Alpha Faders we talked about, I have plenty of those but as you saw you can get them on Alibaba at a good price now and I probably can't go better then them...

This right hereeee...

I have bulk EB Pro X Faders!, these have the large stems and adjustable thumb screw on the sides for fine tuning

the cut In...Medium Body Size...I just listed one on Ebay for $48 for the Facebook homies...

Ifyou get atleast 5 of them...I can hook it up even better...

You're mentioning the Reloop, Inno-Mini...While searching for OEM Manufacturers I found this dude on one of the

forums and his website has some OEM Minis for $30...I'm not associated with that website and I'm not really interested

in anything Innofader....I'm on path doing my own thing...Just doing a service here in the spirit Scratching...

Ask questions if anyone is buying from that website...Links Below...

Bulk Faders Links...

http://postimg.org/image/4bec8lgr3/

http://postimg.org/image/5exomi6tf/

Radio Labs VCA Module

http://postimg.org/image/5rpuqqjnz/

Mini Inno Oem Website

http://www.teknowdj.com/mini-innofader

E-mail me if you are interested in any of the Bulk Faders...

Ahh Fresh...Continued Succes...

Peace...Focus...

• Like 1

Um..... really??? Fucking hell.

This suggests that the raidens don't have any summing resistors. If this is true they could actually damage the equipment that they're plugged into.

Technical explaination here : http://www.rane.com/note109.html. I love Rane's technical notes, they basically all amount to "other manufacturers need to stop being twats, here's why"Anyone fancy taking apart a raiden and taking a picture of how they're internally wired?

Busy weekend ahead but if know else does I'll take mine apart and upload a pic on Monday mate.

KutClass/Adam and my self have these fancy lil portable "MiniRig" speakers, very loud and decent bass for a speaker so small, anyway something Adam brought to my attention the other day was when you plug more than one thing in to a Minirig speaker - two handytrax/raiden fader setups for instance, the minirig volume output is halved :(

Could it be the potential lack of summing resistors on raiden that may in turn effect the limiter on the minirig speaker?

here is how the beta was built... simple as that:

i don't understand why they made it all mono at the end - they could have kept the line in stereo - that's how i did it... :/
also - if you put in a 1k trimmer before each resistor there won't be any volume drops on the line in when opening the fader...

(RAIDEN BETA)
seen on their instagram they're using PCB's now - think they didn't change anything else though...

ever wondered how heavy PT01's needle is?

Edited by wax inspektor

Guest rasteri

argh! You can't just combine left and right by joining the wires together....

Yeah if that's how the raidens are wired they could (and probably eventually will) damage the turntable's outputs. Hope they fix that in the final version.

At least they're (sort of) doing the AUX summing properly.

they have to do it mono on the turnatble channel due their fader mod - they scratch off the end of the uhm... coal conductor (?) and the wiper works like a 1-pin on/off switch when going from "no-coal" to "coal" - messy description, i know... lol

here is how a FRISK looks like - maybe that makes it more clear...

i remember the raiden guys posting sth about shipping delays because they seem to offer custom cut in space... seems like they still scratch off the coal by hand.... that's crazy! that's what i like about the reed - it's still possible to change the cut in space at any time. (i have my magnets sitting on a double sided tape (tesa strip) underneath the slider)

the frisk works like the raiden - without any resistors though - they just connect L+R on the in and out...

Edited by wax inspektor

Guest rasteri

Christ. Your reed switch/magnet concept is a million times better than this. You should sell them as the ultimate passive scratch fader. It wouldn't need power, right?