Logic Pro 9 grief

joeClockwork

Recently I fried my Mac's motherboard and managed to get my hands on an iMac. I stuck El Capitan on there and installed Logic 9.

Several hours later I launched the application and was greeted by a message telling me I need to upgrade to version 10 for £150. Nice! I guessed that this was to do with Logic 9 being too old for El Capitan so I went to the App Store to download Yosemite and see if I could get it running on there. It doesn't exist. You can only get your hands on the installer if you have an Apple developer account.

So I had the idea of installing Virtualbox and installing Snow Leopard as a guest OS. After several hours of tweakery and frustration it turns out that Logic won't run because it's reporting zero VRAM and wants at least 64MB to run, even though I stipulated 128MB in the VM settings. I googled the message and other people are having the same problem but no one seems to know how to resolve it.

Has anyone got any ideas? Upgrading to version 10 isn't an option because I want to move away from Logic eventually. I only want to get this running so I can finish off all my half-completed projects.

The other question is: if I do get Logic running in a VM, is it going to be sluggish as hell when I'm mixing large projects? If so I might as well bite the bullet and shell out for the upgrade to Logic X.

Thanks

Running inside a vm would be a headache - you could torrent an older os and burn it to dvd or bootable usb, boot into recovery mode, wipe your disk, and install the older os.

Logic X is really good, but if all you want is to get your old projects going and want to switch to another daw then it's probably not worth it. Which daw are you switching to?

Thanks for replying.

I wanted to move to Cubase because I have several gripes with Logic that I don't remember seeing in SX3. These are:

• Graphical glitches that occur if you drag a region to somewhere off screen.
  • The lack of volume and volume envelope handles on audio regions.
  • You can only increase/decrease the gain on individual regions in integer values.
  • If I get a 1 bar loop running around one single region, for example, when I delete or change the region in some way it takes a good three or four seconds before I hear the changes. This is apparently a known feature caused by Logic's audio buffers but it's a bit shit if you ask me!

On the other hand, an upgrade to Logic X is a lot cheaper than buying the full version of Cubase. Does it run all right on El Capitan?

Also, when I said I have a few projects to finish off, I'm talking several large mixes that will take ages so I'm probably better off upgrading anyway. Version 11 will probably drop before I get it all done!