MS announce "Xbox Game Pass" for Xbox One

Steve

It's basically a digital game rental service. It'll cost £7.99/$9.99 per month. When it launches there'll be over 100 games available - both backwards compatible 360 games and Xbox One games - and you can download any/all of them. There's no limit on how many of the games you can download and play while you remain a subscriber. New games will periodically be added to the service, and some games may also be removed (which is a bit disappointing).

I'm in the alpha test for this service, so I got early access to it yesterday. The alpha only has 21 games available to play and most of them are 360 games, but it works quite nicely. You click on a button in your games library which opens a store page showing all of the games, split up into categories, then you just click on a game and choose "Install" and it'll start downloading.

If you decide to buy any of the games, you'll get a 20% discount, as well as a 10% discount on any DLC you buy.

They will continue to give Xbox Live Gold users 4 free games per month, so this isn't a replacement for that. Also, it works with game sharing, so if you game share with a friend and they pay for this service, you'll get it too.

I guess it'll live or die on the game selection, but £8 a month isn't much, so it could be alright.

I always liked the idea of a reasonable subscription type service, especially for older nostalgia games from previous generations. The PS4 one always seemed too expensive for how much I would really use it. This one sounds nominally a bit better.