Old salty ass DJ rants about Millenial DJs not being funky....

Acts_One

It's like a yearly thing for this guy to rant on about how much he hates the new school. This time around his post falls under the 'Shade' category.

I agree to some extent about being more funky and how it's a tough to actually learn. But calling out a whole generation for not being 'funky' is asinine.

If you ask me he's the least funkiest of X-Men.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP-TkdNBKl4/?taken-by=brolicarm

Guest petesasqwax

Such a fucking cockrash. Quit bitching and just make your own shit, Knob. Nothing anyone else does affects what you do (or don't). Or maybe just go hit the gym and teach young kids to hate the subsequent generations by example...

• Like 5

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

You'd think his moaning would be funkier with all this practice. He must have learned it by rote.

I wish he'd realise he's just sounding like a moaning old man and that no one will listen to him whilst he approaches this issue like this.

music > moaning.

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

You'd think his moaning would be funkier with all this practice. He must have learn it by rote.

I wish he'd realise he's just sounding like a moaning old man and that no one will listen to him whilst he approaches this issue like this.

music > moaning.

When was the last time he released anything? Was it that album with Nicks and Toad on it or has he done anything since then?

Guest petesasqwax

He really should watch Vekked's 2015 DMC routine - that was the essence of funky. Or he could just go back to repeating beat juggles from 1992.

I feel certain he's going to do one of these things but I can't put my finger on which

• Like 2

Did you really need to add in that last sentence Rob? This argument is the same one that all the old school era DJs made about Rob's generation (maybe not Rob himself, but definitely at lots of the scratch djs coming up with him). You know, he has a point about some DJs lacking funk, but I wonder whether it's just as much about being intimidated by technical prowess and trying to downplay that. On some old, "oh my god what did that kid just do? ... Oh well, he's not as funky as me." Whatever, some of these kids is funky as hell. t's not a generational thing.

Also, if you're going to complain about "Millennials", obviously, it's the cell phones we need to be concerned with here! Somebody tell these fucking kids to give it a rest. I live in a College town. I go out to eat and there's 6 of these motherfuckers at a table and every single one of them is on their phone instead of talking to the other snowflakes next to them. They also say "bro" a lot which really gets on my nerves but I digress. In my day, we didn't have cell phones. We had one phone with a super-long cord and it would get all wrapped up and tangled, and WE LIKED IT!

• Like 3

Guest petesasqwax

In my day, we didn't have cell phones. We had one phone with a super-long cord and it would get all wrapped up and tangled, and WE LIKED IT!

Word. No crazy long cable? How the fuck are you going to wrap it around your sibling's neck, FFS?

• Like 1

Not trying to speak on Rob, nor on any newer DJs. But this discussion reminds me of that from sports such as BMX, where an older rider will see some new kid busting bigger, crazier airs and doing shit that was previously unheard of... only to dismiss it with a "yeah, but they don't ride with the same kind of style that we did."

Sometimes they have a point in saying that; sometimes they don't. As with our DJing discussion: up to the individual to decide for him/herself, I guess.

• Like 2

I saw his challenge with "git down"

I tried it; even slowing it down and varying the space between the two words. Never came up with anything worth a damn, but its still in the sample rotation. Only so much "git git down, down git" you can take

It did get me thinking about sounding funky.

As i thought about, I considered the beats i was scratching over, snd thought "hey maybe its just not conducive to be funky over beats designed for fast scratches." Not saying all loopers are fast or non-funky, but its like they kinda lean that way

So i started going back to what i love, 90s under/semi underground hiphop, and found that snatching loops from these songs led to being able to make scratches that were indeed funkier.

I feel that what he's attempting to describe/request is best achieved thru two sound samples like how fresh is.

Edited by Efhutton

It did get me thinking about sounding funky.

As i thought about, I considered the beats i was scratching over, snd thought "hey maybe its just not conducive to be funky over beats designed for fast scratches." Not saying all loopers are fast or non-funky, but its like they kinda lean that way

So i started going back to what i love, 90s under/semi underground hiphop, and found that snatching loops from these songs led to being able to make scratches that were indeed funkier.

If you like funky beats that sound like they were made by a simpleton in the 90s, might I be so bold as to recommend the two loopers I've put out.

Funny you should mention looper trends and different styles of beat bringing out different styles of cutting - personally, I wasn't feeling a lot of looper beats (not least because of my own scratch limitations) so I figured I could either take to the internet and rant about it like a bitter old man or I could make my own tiny contribution to the solution and put out a looper (or two) that did represent styles I liked to cut too. Sure, two loopers in a million is a tiny drop in the ocean and lots of people won't be interested, but at least I tried!

I'd have so much more respect for Rob if he fought against styles he doesn't rate with some brand new content proving his point or at least offering an alternative, rather than just moaning about what everybody else is doing.

• Like 2

"I'd have so much more respect for Rob if he fought against styles he doesn't rate with some brand new content proving his point or at least offering an alternative, rather than just moaning about what everybody else is doing."

I agree with that/\

I do wonder, if he's sort "searching" for the right words, thoughts, or actions to correct for a phenomenon he's noticed.

so where's these loopers?

I discovered a youtube profile called "ogdonninja" which is a treasure-trove of 90s hiphop

• Like 1

Definitely check out Rock Well's loopers! I esp like the 2nd one, with the black & white image. That one was in my rotation for a long time.

If you like funky beats that sound like they were made by a simpleton in the 90s, might I be so bold as to recommend the two loopers I've put out.

• Like 1

I discovered a youtube profile called "ogdonninja" which is a treasure-trove of 90s hiphop

Yep that channel is full of great stuff

You know, he has a point about some DJs lacking funk, but I wonder whether it's just as much about being intimidated by technical prowess and trying to downplay that. On some old, "oh my god what did that kid just do? ... Oh well, he's not as funky as me."

That's it in a nutshell.

Also, if you're going to complain about "Millennials", obviously, it's the cell phones we need to be concerned with here! Somebody tell these fucking kids to give it a rest. I live in a College town. I go out to eat and there's 6 of these motherfuckers at a table and every single one of them is on their phone instead of talking to the other snowflakes next to them. They also say "bro" a lot which really gets on my nerves but I digress. In my day, we didn't have cell phones. We had one phone with a super-long cord and it would get all wrapped up and tangled, and WE LIKED IT!

That reminds of this time we were in Chicago a few years back getting deep dish pizza (overrated) and at the table next to us was half a dozen so called Millenials, all eating together but just sitting silently, staring at this TV in the corner that was on mute.

I weep for the future.

He comes across like a nob and explains it in such a corny, condescending bullshit way.

buuuuuuuuuut

underneath the horseshit, he has a point. I think scratching is one of the only artforms that got way worse as the technical side of things improved. Half of the really really good scratchers can't scratch for shit now. They seem to have no idea how to actually scratch. I start listening to their videos and I turn off after like 10 seconds cause there is nothing else I have any interest in hearing. It's just a barage of boringness. Beyond sloppy scratching, simple scratching etc. the absolute worst type of cutting for me is boring cutting. And it seems that there is now only a handfull of scratchers who ain't boring. But that handfull are fucking dope because they have incorporated the technique and still try to sound nice.

As for Milennials. You can all suck my ballbag. The only reason I have any time for any millenials, is boning the chicks, cause old ass chicks my age look like shit. :d :d

• Like 4

so where's these loopers?

First one

http://www.tablist.net/looper/12-bit-funk-sss-vol-1-dj-rock-well

Second one

http://www.tablist.net/looper/dj-rock-well-more-funk-looper

You'll probably think they're awful now :d

If nothing else, I guess it makes the point that it's better to try and contribute to the alternative than whine about the status quo.

Definitely check out Rock Well's loopers! I esp like the 2nd one, with the black & white image. That one was in my rotation for a long time.

Thanks Mike C! I'm always genuinely chuffed to get feedback like that and the fact you prefer the second one hopefully means I'm going in the right direction.

To a certain extent it is true, but only in terms of separation IE technique vs music, there are guitarists out there that are technically the most proficient on the planet and sound like complete shit, the exact same goes for scratch DJs, it has nothing at all to do with age or era.

• Like 1

The problem with his argument is the use of the word "innate". If funk is something that can't be taught - and maybe he's right - he has to be able to argue that the ease of access to tutorials that essentially expand a DJ's scratch vocabulary somehow completely stifle the innate funkiness of DJs born during a certain time period. I don't think he can do that and he doesn't even attempt it. Not really. He makes the vague claim that millennials are "disconnecting from their creative spirit", but if funk was truly innate, I don't believe that would even matter, if such a thing exists.

• Like 3

Guest Symatic

while i dont agree with the point he's making (i think he's just looking in the wrong places) i think what his first line means is not that funk is only built in to some people and not others, I think he's saying that people are failing to connect to their own innate funk.....