It's been almost 2 years since I backed Qbert's Kickstarter.....

Steve

.....and like a bunch of other people that backed it, I've received nothing.

It's not like Qbert and Yoga Frog are new to business, yet the last time an update was posted on the Kickstarter page was in July and that was about the TRX mixers.

From the comments: -

Just wondering if the vinyl puzzle piece been sent out. I haven't received it please let me know thanks.

nearly 2 years on puzzle backers still kept in the dark no reward yet... wtf

Please finish what you started thud rumble & Q

This was intended as a gift for my boyfriend's birthday 2 years ago. At £350 this was a lot of money which I struggled to afford. To ignore my repeated requests for information 2 years on lacks any scrap of ethics.

If you are struggling to fulfill this project, please can you just be honest about it and provide an update?

Seriously

I've asked Qbert a handful of times on Twitter for updates, and a couple of times he's sent me DMs. The first one was in November 2014 saying that the stuff would be shipping "soon", then in June this year he sent me another one saying that he'd just got word from the office that the stuff would be shipped in July, yet here we are in December and still nada.

What a pile of shit!

Yeah, this is the reward tier I was in at: -

EXTRATERRESTRIA: SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE] includes the COMPLETE 9 PUZZLE PIECE PICTURE DISC VINYL packaged in a SPECIAL EDITION BOOK BINDING. This is the only chance you will be able get all the pieces without travelling the entire world and hunting for each piece. [EXTRATERRESTRIA 2LP PICTURE DISC VINYL DELUXE PACKAGE] + [EXTRATERRESTRIA + GALAXXXIAN 2CD DELUXE PACKAGE]+ [EXTRATERRESTRIA + GALAXXXIAN ADVANCED DELUXE DIGITAL ALBUM DOWNLOAD]

But all I've received is a link to download the digital versions of the albums.

that's really shit. for some reason i'm not overly surprised tho.

is there not some way of officially complaining to kickstarter and be like "they straight up lied?" or to get money refunded?

surely if kickstarter dont jump in to help out then loads of people could just post lies/scams up on the site.

• Like 1

What a load of bullshit!

I expected a degree of farce as you do with anything Thud related and as I said at the time, I think a business of their size using Kickstarter was a cynical move, but two years and all that money for a digital download only?!?!

We should have all listened to FLARE after all!

For me now, this just confirms what I've been thinking for a couple of years now - I'm never giving them another penny of my money and I'm only going to support the smaller businesses run by the people who really make this scene good.

• Like 6

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, this is the reward tier I was in at: -

EXTRATERRESTRIA: SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE] includes the COMPLETE 9 PUZZLE PIECE PICTURE DISC VINYL packaged in a SPECIAL EDITION BOOK BINDING. This is the only chance you will be able get all the pieces without travelling the entire world and hunting for each piece. [EXTRATERRESTRIA 2LP PICTURE DISC VINYL DELUXE PACKAGE] + [EXTRATERRESTRIA + GALAXXXIAN 2CD DELUXE PACKAGE]+ [EXTRATERRESTRIA + GALAXXXIAN ADVANCED DELUXE DIGITAL ALBUM DOWNLOAD]

But all I've received is a link to download the digital versions of the albums.

that's utter horseshit!!

• Like 1

Yeah, Kickstarter really need to start clamping down on this kind of thing. If you ask for funding then you need to deliver something and you also need to keep your investors in the loop. And I think there needs to be a more stringent process for starting campaigns - if you're an already established business (which Thud Rumble obviously is) why do they not put their own money back into the business to produce this? They shouldn't be relying on the good will of the small scratch community to fund their endeavours - that is not ethical IMO.

Edited by jeljms
  • Like 1

I get that they're being ambitious with the design of the vinyl and the record sleeves, but that shouldn't cause a delay of this length considering how much money they raised, plus where is the communication from Thud Rumble? They've just left people in the dark.

• Like 2

Wow. You got burned. That part of the Kickstarter risk tho... I've gotten lots of stuff but also been burned or still waiting on other things.

Chugnut -- 7 months late and counting. (The guy admitted he's some idiot student trying to make these in his school shop. WTF)

Potatogram (literally a potato with writing on it mailed to someone) -- 3 months late so message was no longer relevant

SNES component cables -- 5 months late and counting

NFC bracelet -- never coming apparently. Over a year. No response to messages.

12 O'clock in Baltimore movie -- probably took 2 years to finally see the movie (and it was shit)

Almond+ -- took around 2 years and by the time I got it I didn't need a wifi router anymore since I had to fucking buy one

I did get my glo-laces tho so all is good in the world.

Pretty surprised Thug Rumble can't deliver... usually it's because the person wasn't prepared for actual production but TR know what they are doing--this isn't their first rodeo. 2 years is outrageous.

This is the pledge I made and I've received it... probably 12 months ago.

$50

[EXTRATERRESTRIA 2LP PICTURE DISC VINYL DELUXE PACKAGE] + [EXTRATERRESTRIA + GALAXXXIAN ADVANCED DELUXE DIGITAL ALBUM DOWNLOAD]

Ships anywhere in the world
Estimated delivery: Jun 2014

Guest rasteri

I've only ever kickstarted Richard Herring's interview podcast series (RHLSTP). Got an outline of his hand in biro on paper and two badges. I think the idea is to only kickstart things you don't care if you get or not.

Kickstarter is a place where backers tend to risk their money for something that someone thinks they can fulfill.

That's a fair point, but who would ever have guessed that Thug Fumble wouldn't have been able to press up some vinyl copies of QBert's first album in 15 years?.. especially after their rather large KS goal was achieved.

• Like 1

yo, just an FYI , i backed and received (early 2015) the double LP with the built in midi controller. It looks like Thud delivered on everything apart from the puzzle piece rewards (?) ... kinda dumb that they gave lowest priority to the highest backers and even more frustrating i bet to see that they have moved on to other projects while this still needs to be completed... they should at least send you the items that are available. steve - you should ask for the LP , if they dont have that to send then your reward will never be fulfilled anyway..

Thinking about it, the puzzzle peice concept was always pretty ambitious, not making the record, but the concept of the treasure hunt and associated app and unlocking hidden songs .. i was really tempted to back it to, but just thought that someone without the kickstarter piece could buy the released "hidden" pieces and jack the price so high you never stand a chance of completing the puzzle ..

They will be blaming it on the pressing plant next, you wait and see!

Wait, that's exactly what Mr. Penguin [if that's his real name at all!!!] told me at the Sample Music Festival when I asked him about how his album was coming along. Have I fallen into the trap of a con artist? I'm feeling so dumb and naive right now... :( ^_^