BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Bob's gonna be pissed!

DJ Rock Well

I wrote it for you Rock :d

Its my little dedication to yourself for inspiring me to get back on the chops as you said

The only problem ive now got is a desperate need to buy another sampler

as ive caught the bug again badly and i really want to start making beats and tracks again..

and its all yours and bloody Bob James' fault !

• Like 2

Reading that Dan, makes me very happy indeed!

I fully encourage sampler buying too. Much fun to be had in the future... Also, stating the obvious, you know breaks and samples as well as anyone, you know how to use samplers and you know how to play instruments as well - this is a golden combo for making music IMO! Bob probably doesn't agree.

• Like 1

Hahaha

Bob secretly loves all the attention if you ask me and if he doesn't he fucking well should do ..

Seriously though as source material "One" is such a classic lp and even though the record has been totally rinsed it was a lot of fun coming up with the ideas for the track i recorded-what i wanted to do was just take one sample from the record to kind of adhere to the basic principle of the battle and build the music around the chosen sample to see where it would take me and the end result was something totally different to the one i originally envisioned and also because of the time constraints i had with the samplers made me work in a very different way to how i normally would have done and as said before ive loved every minute of being back in chop mode

You know its strange to think that in the short time ive been a member of this forum how much ive changed back to how i was before and been able to start moving forwards with my life again (because to put it bluntly i was fed up and totally fucked off after Dee's passing) and a lot of that is down to you Rock,plus Pete Sasq obviously...Dirk ,Psyche and all the other top dudes that i speak to on DV

To say youve all given me a confidence boost in myself again (ill just call it an electronic kick up the arse lol it sounds better)is probably a bit of an understatement to be perfectly honest

• Like 2

flattery will get you nowhere, Dan ;)

Just finished. Have to go to bed and listen again in the morning. Fingers crossed that I still like it then. It's kinda weird. I couldn't decide what to do so made 4 different beats and put em all together.

• Like 1

Damn... On sunday i was listening to this album for the first time in ages while doing a few jobs around the house - there's so much good stuff on there still, even with it being caned for 20 years. Its too late for me to get involved, but I look forward to hearing what people come up with.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

Oh yeah also... I have a version of Nautilus without the bells/electic piano on the break. I played it to wax a few years ago so he'll vouch for me. ;-)

i've got a version of "the funky drummer" without the hihat!

• Like 2

And I've got a version of Don't Fear the Reaper with no cowbell. Absolutely none.

I believed those other two but not this one. Reaper with no cow bell? Impossible.

• Like 1

Ive looked everywhere that i could think of to try and find it for you Sy

But to no avail im afraid

I was thinking it could be from a blaxplotation movie maybe ?

If only we knew someone with access to load of soundtrack lps who could maybe help us ? ;)

Guest Symatic

haha dirk thats dope! love the mixtape/radio station vibe hahahah that g smooth bit :)

i just recorded 15 minutes of real dodgy beat juggling........ i'll maybe try again, when are we wrapping this up?

• Like 1

Still have no audio set up here, so Macbook Air built in speakers again for now hahaha (If the mix is shit, blame Bob) I didn't wan't to use any loops this time, so i just pulled individual instruments, mapped them and played them, the beats aren't Bob, all the instruments are from the supplied files, and the vocals are a Bob James interview off You Tube

• Like 2