Future beat battles

OK, I've been having a think about these going forward and have a couple of ideas...

My planning thus far has been as simple I did the first one, then another one and then the one after, etc. But as we've got his far (number 8 has just finished and 9 will go up tonight) I'd quite like to pretend I knew what I was doing all along and complete it as a contained, year long project. So after tonight's sample goes up, they'll be just 3 more months of this vinyl dictatorship, assuming everyone taking part will let me do so.

After a completed year of LPs from my collection getting flipped, I will organise compiling a selection of the years' entries into a digitally released album on Bandcamp... I'm thinking something like everybody who's taken part, submitting up to 3 beats they liked best? Maybe with an opportunity to tidy up projects without completely re-doing them perhaps? I dunno, we'll cross that bridge nearer the time.

After that, I definitely think we should keep on doing these sample flip type challenges on here but I'm open to suggestions of how it should go. Perhaps, something along the lines of anybody who's entered at least one beat battle, gets to take turns in providing the source material? I think it's fairer for people who've taken part to be providing the source material - it might mean some people are forced to join then and as the old saying goes " You don't weigh in, you don't wrestle" ;) It definitely needs to be a case of whoever is suggesting the source material, provides it. I'm not about to start running round trying to find records for people's whims or battling with 128kbps youtube rips. Other than that, personally I much prefer having whole LPs as source material - the other 9 million sample flips battles on the internet all use just one song to start with, plus I like the way it gives limitations but doesn't boil down to everybody adding their own special sauce to the same two bar sample. I quite the idea of giving people something for their own library of future sample sorces too. Ultimately though, it'll be up to whoever is posting the challenge. Anyway, enough waffle, I'm keen to hear what everybody else thinks on this.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

I think youve been a pretty good dictator man, if we all end up making suggestions for what should be flipped we'll procastinate all year, i think its quite good just having something we probably have never heard before from your dusty crates...

Im not against the idea of everyone contributingg their ideas, im just fully aware of how much thinking about it we'd all do if we were given the chance compared to "heres a sample, get back to me in 2 weeks" which just makes you go and make something

• Like 3

Fair enough mate and thanks for the compliment! I'm more than happy to keep going until I'm told to stop if it works out that way, I've got many more records waiting in the wings and it's given me motivation to keep on digging up new ones too. I just don't want to alienate people from joining in or whatever.

I totally hear you on the organisation side of things. Keeping it rolling along to some kind of loose schedule is the key to keeping it going. It's makes you get on with the job in hand.

I love the format dude. Having a whole record to sample from leaves so many more options than just some shitty mp3 like some of the other beat battles (as you mentioned)

You always pick stuff which at first I might be like hmm, this is gonna be hard, but after a couple of tries I can normally muster something up. It's great practice! Even if I haven't made any beats for a while this forces me to create something new at least.

If you've got enough records and are happy enough sharing them I'd say do it.

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Big thank you to Rocky for all the hard work he puts in to sort us with fresh dope wax every month to sample the shit out off for the battles.

Honestly I think you have done an excellent job as the dictator and the relaxed rules are spot on. Also liking the idea of a yearly digi bandcamp kind of compilation, maybe we could have some kind of open poll in the future to decide who gets chosen on it?

Talking about other people that have submitted a beat providing source material for future battles, I don't think that's a bad thing to be honest. As we all know it can be difficult to juggle life, work, relationships, music projects etc some months. Maybe we could have set-up some kind of community DV Dropbox account that a few trusted members on here could access to set up the next sample flip battle if you can't for some reason. With previous people that have submitted a beat, could pm these trusted members there .wav rips of their chosen material to add to the community sample pot encase for what even reason you can't get time one month or fancy taking a short break for organizing it etc

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, I agree with what everyone else has already said. The way in which these battles have worked thus far has been perfect and I absolutely love the full LP approach. The only conceivable negative about you curating them all is that you've not entered as many of them as I'd like you to have done :)

• Like 1

The only conceivable negative about you curating them all is that you've not entered as many of them as I'd like you to have done :)

Yeah, but I'm a major pontificator :d

Actually, these do give me a reason to get on with shit. I really wanted to attempt one with the last record, but I've been farting around trying to finish beats for a new looper for ages and last month I decided not to start anything new until I'd wrapped up those beats.

Thanks for the kind words fellas :wub: I just wanted to acknowledge that people might want to have their say and I might not be giving them the chance. I'm more than happy to keep these rolling or contribute as needed for as long as anybody's interested, it's no trouble to do and I'm picking up records every week anyway. TBH I've always got far more records I want to sample than I'll ever get round to using anyway, so I'm glad to share some of them. It's great to hear what other people have done with them and every month I've been inspired by what I've heard.