BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Prog Rock

A dirty word to some and listening to the songs on this album while I recorded it did nothing to help the genre, but the samples are there.

Fresh from recording King Crimson's much lauded debut album, multi-instrumentalist Ian McDonald and drummer Mike Giles left to cut this LP. Nobody bought it, but that's another story. There's plenty of stuff to sample from though if you trawl through it, even one of my all time favourite open drum breaks! Extra kudos to anyone who manages to use the awful 'far out' vocals ;)

I think the gatefold cover is pretty cool too...

Here's the audio files

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbx9bt7i1fvrajt/mcdonald%26giles%20Samples.zip?dl=0

As ever, the only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audio files provided above. You can add any other sounds, samples, instruments, cuts, vocals, etc. The final result can be any style, medium or genre you like.

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be the end of Monday, May the 30th.

• Like 4

@Rock Well

Why aren't those two blokes on the cover of the lp dressed as wizards ?

thats the proper way too look for any self respecting prog rock musicians from that era

Jokes aside thats a good choice youve made for the challenge ,I know of the musicians who recorded it obviously and I know the drumbreak from the album that you mentioned but id never heard the full lp before so I had a listen this afternoon and yep ive got to agree it should make for a good battle yet again

cant wait... ill have to have a crack at one of these challenges myself one day

• Like 1

Nice, sampled some shit into the 303 this morning, can't wait to play around with it some more.

I'm loving the 303 right now, it's way more fun making hip hop beats than Ableton.

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

That fucking drum break is the TRUTH! I can't wait to chop the shit out of and then smash it through a world of filth. It's sat there all pristine just pleading for the dirt

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

Nice, sampled some shit into the 303 this morning, can't wait to play around with it some more.

I'm loving the 303 right now, it's way more fun making hip hop beats than Ableton.

Get some guitar pedals to run it through too - that shit is CRACK

• Like 2

Dan - this was just before prog disappeared up its own arse and everyone involved was issued with wizard clobber. What eventually became a dirty word, just started off as progressive rock in the late 60s and many mainstream bands of that time were regarded as 'progressive'. Then you had a year or two when things got more experimental and it was half genius/half madness (where this album fits in). After that it was ego, drugs and ludicrous musical elitism until punk finally came along to headbutt rock music back to reality.

Pete - yep, it's a proper break for sure. As I was saying in the breaks thread, it was one of the first drum breaks I discovered for myself where I thought I was really turning up the proper deep heavy stuff. Of course it was already pretty well known, but I found it the old fashioned way and I've always felt some kind of personal attachment to it ever since. I can't wait to see what you do with it - I can already hear mothers covering the ears of their small child in anticipation that things are about to get very dirty.

Doob - you're not helping with my 'I used to have one of those' 303 envy!

• Like 1

Dan - this was just before prog disappeared up its own arse and everyone involved was issued with wizard clobber. What eventually became a dirty word, just started off as progressive rock in the late 60s and many mainstream bands of that time were regarded as 'progressive'. Then you had a year or two when things got more experimental and it was half genius/half madness (where this album fits in). After that it was ego, drugs and ludicrous musical elitism until punk finally came along to headbutt rock music back to reality.

Pete - yep, it's a proper break for sure. As I was saying in the breaks thread, it was one of the first drum breaks I discovered for myself where I thought I was really turning up the proper deep heavy stuff. Of course it was already pretty well known, but I found it the old fashioned way and I've always felt some kind of personal attachment to it ever since. I can't wait to see what you do with it - I can already hear mothers covering the ears of their small child in anticipation that things are about to get very dirty.

Doob - you're not helping with my 'I used to have one of those' 303 envy!

I stole mine from Dopplekorn. For some reason he let me take it to South Korea. I sent him a message offering to buy it coz I felt guilty (he seems fine with that idea).

Ignoring the speculators who try it on with silly BIN prices, around £170-180 in auctions I've seen. A few have gone higher at times, like £200-225 even. I'd just do a search for completed and sold items and you should see some kind of average from the results you get.

Nice LP, I think I'm in this one. Found the bits I want to use already :)

One thing - what's going on at the end of side A? The track fades out and then decides it's not finished yet, fades back in and then ends completely differently.

Odd...

Nice LP, I think I'm in this one. Found the bits I want to use already :)

One thing - what's going on at the end of side A? The track fades out and then decides it's not finished yet, fades back in and then ends completely differently.

Odd...

that's prog-rock for you!

• Like 2

Everything on this LP was played and produced by the two of them, which doesn't leave many hands free for fade outs. Probably one of the stoned girlfriends was mistakenly trusted with the job?

Actually, it might just have been immense confusion from some poor engineer. It must have been very hard around this time, coming out of the world of the tight 2 and bit mins pop single into a time when one song could fill out half an LP. Throw in a few mind bending drugs the fact that nobody ever truly knows when a prog rock song is coming to an end :d

Guest Symatic

randomly made this last night. really rough idea, if i get time i'll try and make a proper track from it

• Like 5