BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - 70s Italian Cop Movie

DJ Rock Well

OK... here's mine.

Like Pete, I need to explain it. Except mine was a process of dead ends and failures, rather than freedom and experimentation :unsure:

Basically, I wasn't going to enter this month but then I happened upon a little drums and bass line loop I sort of liked. So then I tried to build it up into a more interesting instrumental beat but couldn't find anything that worked. Then I realised that this would be a good excuse to finally get on with what I've been nagging myself to do for about a year now, and actually start trying to add simple cuts and vocals to beats I'm making. I'm pretty sloppy and out of practice in general at the moment and I haven't cut on DVS or with normal speed records for yonks, so the result was pretty shoddy. I ran out of time too, so the last 16 is just a bit of the vocal I was cutting thrown in to fill the space up... it doesn't really work though :d

So there you have it. It's definitely not a finished track or beat at all, just a little sketch of crude ideas. It probably should have been written off as a learning process and abandoned on my hard drive in private, but I thought fuck it, might as well share it anyway. I'm definitely gonna keep trying to get better at recording cuts for beats though, both getting better myself and particularly recording other better DJs. I've broken the seal now at least.

• Like 2

Rock Well-dont undersell yourself mate that was dope

youve made something that no one else on here would have even attempted IMO and thats exactly what I always like about your style in particular

and those cuts were sounding pretty neat & tidy as far as im concerned btw

Well if we're all explaining things I feel like I need to do mine too :p

I made some chops, arranged them in to a couple of simple phrases. I also chucked an LFO tool on to one of these phrases to add variation.

Added some loose drums.

Got a cool vocal bit and gated that to a different rhythm, controlled by the sidechain function on the gate.

I had some pitchy things going on in the breakdown part (pretty simple).

I also sampled a guitar bit and made the new melody that you hear at the end.

I played the baseline in myself and added the eh eh bits right at the end too.

• Like 1

Yeah mate everyone can vote whether youre involved in the battle or not, theres a poll which Rock Well will put up in a seperate thread when everyones mixes have been submitted by the deadline for inclusion

You can also post any comments or feedback on any of the tracks and the person youve voted for if you choose to do so (be as brutal as you like,they're all big boys and can take it apparently ) :d

Its a pity you couldnt put anything up this time man,but get yourself in on the next one instead as these are always really good battles and Rock Well picks some great Lps for these challenges

damn, i started something when the samples were first uploaded but it sucked when i went back to it & i never got around to starting a new one...

can i still vote if i'm not in the battle?

Yep, any DV members can and are encouraged to vote!

They'll be a new challenge up next week too.

• Like 1