I hate my Slipmatts

I've come to the conclusion i hate my mats....they're kinda draggy, a little bit heavy....carry noise terribly....fuckin shit.....feels like ive put a Marmite basted record, directly onto the turntable platter.

last time i actually bought any was about 10+ years ago, and most of my equipment is in storage back in the uk...so these are ones i got with the decks when i grabbed them in new zealand...

what do people recommend these days? is there an updated butter rug or similar that people like?

im using a pdx mk1...

Don't forget to polish yer platter yo!

I've used a particular kind of Vestax mat for years, I never got on with Butter Rugs because they always seemed to come off when switching records. It's less of an issue nowadays if i play with Serato but old habits die hard.

• Like 1

Don't forget to polish yer platter yo!

I've used a particular kind of Vestax mat for years, I never got on with Butter Rugs because they always seemed to come off when switching records. It's less of an issue nowadays if i play with Serato but old habits die hard.

polish?! ...dont even have any cloths pal, let alone polish!!

good point tho. i should give that a whirl actually...

Guest Symatic

i find tablecloths too slippy, but i recently got the butter rugs without the extraslippy sheets, and thicker material, theyre called 'mix edition' or something like that. for some reason theyre more expensive i think....

but theyre nicer than my upside down vestax ones ive been using forever....

I like Tablecloths. If they are too slippy with the plastic, try without perhaps? I find that varies a bit from table to table though, my PDX2000 (MK1) are grippier than my technics and stanton. I guess then it depends on the record too, my traktor records and some of the thinner scratch records like the C&P ones are naturally a lighter and slippier whatever they are on.

i find tablecloths too slippy, but i recently got the butter rugs without the extraslippy sheets, and thicker material, theyre called 'mix edition' or something like that. for some reason theyre more expensive i think....

but theyre nicer than my upside down vestax ones ive been using forever....

Yeah those mix edition ones are pretty rad. I like em better than the regular tablecloths. Defo better than butter rugs. Still a fan of the old Gutter Mats and these are pretty close.

• Like 1

I have used some old mega thick slamming vinyl mats that I got at a rave back in 2001. Lovely and thick but slip really nice.

I can't cut or juggle with butter rugs or tablecloths, way too slippy for my overly heavy handedness.

I would suggest a good polish tho, that's good oldskool advice right there.

• 1 year later...

frosted plates/butter rugs (IMO) and +1 on the polished platters :)

Is there any difference between butter rugs and frosted butter rugs?

Guest broke

frosted plates/butter rugs (IMO) and +1 on the polished platters :)

Is there any difference between butter rugs and frosted butter rugs?

Just the frosting